- Waltham, MA
A123 Systems LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Wanxiang America Corporation, powers innovation using its Nanophosphate® lithium ion battery technology in a variety of different industries. The Waltham, MA division of A123 Systems is an R&D environment centered around developing the battery market’s next lithium ion cells through designing, building mass prototypes and testing of cells.
The Test Engineer will be a critical part of the R&D Team supporting the innovative battery technology development. Specifically, the Test Engineer will be responsible for working with battery R&D Scientists to design their test requirements in to executable battery test equipment procedures. As prototype cells are assembled, the Test Engineer will provide instruction to technicians on how to carry out tests. With training, the Test Engineer will learn how to review test performance data and report out to internal R&D teams as well as external customers.
- Operate equipment and run test software to execute requested tests
- Maintain & develop improvements for electrical test equipment
- Develop and document work instructions for process procedures and equipment maintenance
- Design and implement standardized mechanical test fixtures
- Learn test software and troubleshoot cell test recipes
- Perform cell measurements and record data
- Summarize test data in MS Excel Graphs and tables for presentation to internal R&D Team.
- Support implementation of environmental and safety best practices.
The position requires strong interpersonal skills and inner drive. The successful candidate will be a hands on problem solver and work primarily in an engineering office and with technicians in the test lab environment.
- Ability to mentor engineering technicians and lead projects
- Ability to work independently or as a member of a small team
- Quick learner and adaptable to rapid change
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical and/or Computer Engineering preferred. Other Engineering disciplines will be consider as well.
- 1-5 years engineering work experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required; Intermediate to Advanced MS Excel and Access skills preferred. Knowledge of programming is a plus.