Associate Research Engineer
- 200 West St, Waltham, MA 02451, USA
A123 Systems, LLC develops and manufactures advanced lithium ion batteries and battery systems for the transportation, electric grid services and consumer markets. Headquartered in Massachusetts and founded in 2001, A123 Systems' proprietary nanoscale electrode technology is built on initial developments from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Among the companies selecting A123 batteries, battery systems and technology in the fields of transportation, grid energy storage and consumer products are AES Energy Storage, LLC, BAE Systems, The Black & Decker Corporation, BMW, Daimler, and Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation. For additional information please visit www.a123systems.com.
Associate Research Engineer (cathode development)
Reports To: Senior Cathode Scientist
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
The Associate Research Engineer will work under the direction of the group lead with the primary role of assembling and testing small electrochemical vehicles to evaluate battery materials for the cathode development team. This individual will be required to operate software used to program and run the battery testing instrument, as well as to process and report test data in a standardized format. The Associate Research Engineer will also be responsible for preparing powder samples for analysis, and performing tests to measure their physical properties. Support may also be required for evaluation of electrolytes and separators. Results and data analysis will be summarized in written reports and maintained in laboratory notebooks and intranet locations.
· Assembling and testing of electrochemical test vehicles to evaluate battery materials
· Processing, recording and tracking test data using certain software tools
· Preparing powders and thin-film coatings for analysis
· Conduct electrochemical cell teardown and failure mode analysis
· Conduct testing of cells made with various electrolytes to assess gas volume and expansion
· Evaluate physical qualify of new separator materials
· Manage inventory of R&D chemicals, and monitor safety practices in the lab
· Performing other functions as required to support the R&D operation
Successful candidates will be both quality and detail oriented, be team oriented and flexible. They will possess good interpersonal skills, be proficient in written and verbal communication and be able to interface with co-workers and management.
· The position requires attention to detail and ability to work with a minimum amount of supervision.
· The technician must be proficient with Microsoft excel and have some mechanical aptitude.
· Ability to work with analytical balances, some chemicals, and general labware is necessary
· General lab skills, as well as ability to learn instrumentation software are a must.
· Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Materials Science or related field
· Demonstrated ability to perform various math calculations and use test / measuring devices.
· Experience working with glove boxes and dry room is preferred.
· Experience with batteries or electrochemical systems a strong plus
· Familiarity with Statistical Process Control, and Design of Experiments a plus
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.