Senior Research Scientist (Electrode Materials)
- Romulus, MI
A123 Systems LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Wanxiang America Corporation, powers innovation using its Nanophosphate® lithium ion battery technology in a variety of different industries. The Waltham, MA division of A123 Systems is an R&D environment centered around developing the battery market’s next lithium ion cells through designing, building mass prototypes and testing of cells.
The Senior Research Scientist will be a team player in an aggressive product development environment to commercialize next generation lithium ion battery technologies. As part of a multidisciplinary team, the Electrode Material Scientist will have the responsibility for the development and implementation of novel electrode materials into Li-ion batteries, focusing on electrode materials/chemistry and formulations. The successful candidate will be a resourceful problem solver with excellent interpersonal skills, and will be capable of rapidly integrating R&D results into a practical product and manufacturing process.
- Lead the applied research in new electrode materials and their implementation in varied lithium-ion battery formats
- Develop novel electrode materials, structures, and processes applicable to A123 lithium-ion batteries
- Develop/improve electrode formulations for the novel electrode chemistry
- Characterize electrode material performance with electrochemical cell tests and conduct root cause analysis
- Work closely with cell design/engineering teams to implement the new electrode materials developed.
- Transfer and qualification of process technology to manufacturing
- Deep knowledge of varied electrode materials chemistry/electrochemistry and their processes
- Rich experience with lithium battery electrode materials synthesis and characterization
- Demonstrated strong experimental capability in scaling-up electrode material synthesis and formulations
- Familiarity with oxide cathode and anode materials is desired
- Ability to commit to aggressive timelines and to deliver on those commitments
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills to foster cross-organizational communications
- Self-starter & self-motivator, a critical thinker, and a proactive problem solver with a big-picture mindset
- An advanced degree in Materials Science/Engineering
- At least 5years of lithium-ion battery product/process development experience
- Ability to travel domestic and international in any part of the world
No Agencies please, Local candidates only