Senior Research Scientist
- Waltham, MA
A123 Systems LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Wanxiang America Corporation, powers innovation using its Nanophosphate® lithium ion battery technology in a variety of different industries. The Waltham, MA division of A123 Systems is an R&D environment centered around developing the battery market’s next lithium ion cells through designing, building mass prototypes and testing of cells.
The individual in this position will be responsible for the development of new anode and cathode materials and for the enhancement of existing commercial materials for next generation lithium ion batteries. This individual will also be responsible for characterizing and assessing emerging materials under development by suppliers, universities, and national laboratories.
The specific responsibilities will be:
- Evaluate emerging anode and cathode, electrolyte materials, electrodes and cell designs vs A123 requirements for next generation product performance, safety, and cost
- Evaluate the kinetics of current A123 cathode materials and determine if changes in composition or synthetic processes have the potential to make an impact to A123 product roadmap
- Develop electrode technologies to improve performance or reduce cost
- Develop project plans, identify resource requirements, implement development activities, and document and communicate results to R&D and Product Development organizations
- Interface with R&D Operations to request cell builds and product testing
- Interface with internal customers, Product Development and Engineering functions, to review existing materials, evaluate opportunities for improvements, communicate progress of new opportunities, and transfer technology
- Mentor junior scientists and engineers
The successful candidate will possess excellent organizational and communication skills, be detail-oriented, fact based, and self-motivated.
This position requires:
- A PhD in Materials Science or related discipline
- 5 to 10 years expertise in lithium ion battery electrochemistry
- Experience in lithium ion lithium ion anode and cathode materials, electrode development, and cell design
- Knowledgeable about materials, electrode, and cell performance and abuse characterization
- Ability to efficiently supervise junior employees and provide a positive role model
- Ability to work efficiently in a multitasking, rapid-cycle development environment
- Familiarity with Statistical Analysis and Design of Experiments
The position will be based out of Waltham, MA and may involve International travel.