- Washington, DC
AMEX International is a small international development firm based in Washington, DC. For over 25 years, AMEX has provided high quality, results-driven consulting services in administrative, technical and management support; information technology; democracy and governance; and private-sector development; as well as procurement and shipping services around the world.
AMEX International has an exciting opportunity to join a great team as an Administrative Specialist. The primary focus of the Administrative Specialist is to serve as the personal and confidential assistant to the Assistant Administrator (AA), coordinating all clerical and day-to-day administrative support activities. Other responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to ensuring that policies and practices are implemented that facilitate the mission of both the AA and USAID Administration, serving as a backup for the Front Office Special Assistant, while performing a full range of administrative functions. This position is located in the Office of Afghanistan and Pakistan Affairs, Office of the Director (OAPA/OD) in the Ronald Reagan Building (RRB) in downtown Washington, DC.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Correspondence and Report Processing (70%)
• Coordinates with a variety of individuals inside and outside of the organization to determine the appropriate person for responding to inquiries, based on personal knowledge of organizational programs, priorities, goals, and objectives. Provides correspondence services for an organization with a mission that affects a wide range of operations in other agencies, a large segment of the public, or the business community.
• Uses a sophisticated action tracking system to assure that official materials are scanned and available. Sorts and files correspondence and other documents in accordance with established procedures. Receives, opens and disseminates mail after determining appropriate staff member to take action.
• Monitors the status of program assignments, ensuring that due dates are noted and established, that background materials are properly routed to the assigned staff, and that copies of background materials are maintained in a secure location, and available to the supervisor and staff. Provides reminders of approaching due dates to ensure that all assignments are met in a timely manner. Ensures correspondence are filed for historical purposes in coordination with established USAID Records Management policies and procedures.
• Carries out special reporting requests as required; conducts research as needed from files and records to compile reports or to respond to client needs.
Clerical or Administrative Practices and Procedures (25%)
• Facilitates Agency-wide communication by assuring that staffs at all levels are fully informed on internal and Agency-wide procedures.
• Initiates development of new or revised administrative policies and procedures necessary for efficient administrative functioning of the organization, independently or as a member of a team.
• Works with highly classified material and employs procedures for handling and safeguarding classified material.
Office Resource Monitoring 5%
• Monitors supply and inventory utilization. Maintains inventory of office and equipment supplies.
• Prepares requisitions for supplies and equipment and requests for service.
Qualifications for this position include:
• A Security Clearance
• A Bachelor's Degree in International Development, International Affairs, Political Science, or a related discipline
• 1-3 Years of Administrative Experience supporting directly supporting senior level staff (preferably in a federal government or professional services environment)
• Prior knowledge, experience or interest in Middle Eastern affairs.
• Strong written and verbal English Communication skills
• Ability to function independently with minimal supervision as well as part of a team
• Familiarity MS Office and Google-based products (i.e. Gmail)
To qualify, please submit an updated resume, a cover letter outlining your relevant qualifications (stating where you discovered this ad, salary requirements and earliest possible start date) and a completed USAID 1420 form to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday August 21, 2014, using the subject line OAPA Administrative Specialist. The 1420 form is available at our website, www.amexdc.com under the 'Recruitment' Tab. Applicants that do not meet the criteria listed above will not be considered for this position. Due to the sheer volume of applicants we receive, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no phone calls. AMEX International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, gender, age, disability status, veterans status and/or sexual orientation.