Note: This is a remote, part-time contractor position. You may be based anywhere globally.
The Managing Editor will play a critical role in helping scale-up and develop a world-class publication. This is a part-time, contract position with the possibility for transition to full-time in Q4 2014.
The African Journal of Laboratory Medicine (AJLM) is the first pan-African medical journal for laboratory medicine, and is the official journal of ASLM. The journal is open-access and is dedicated to publishing peer-reviewed, scientific research and information relevant to laboratory medicine. The journal can be accessed at www.ajlmonline.org.
The African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) is a pan-African professional body endorsed by the African Union and focused on improving healthcare by strengthening diagnostic testing. Laboratory testing is pivotal in disease diagnosis, epidemiological surveillance, outbreak investigations, initiation and monitoring of treatment, as well as research and development.
Aadmi Consulting has been retained to provide HR support to ASLM. This positin will be in support of ASLM.
The Managing Editor will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief and Technical Editors to support the growth of AJLM and the annual conference by providing broad writing and editing support and overseeing all logistics. The Managing Editor’s responsibilities will include:
- Provide broad writing and editing support to authors, many for whom English is not their native language
- Write marketing/newsletter copy, edit copy and galley proofs, and ensure overall quality of material prior to publication
- Oversee logistics for submission, review, and publication process.
- Serve as point-of-contact for stakeholders and participants.
- Coordinate peer review and technical editing processes, including summarizing peer review comments, reviewing revisions, and gap identification.
- Oversee peer review process and manage/select reviewers
- Additional logistical responsibilities in support of smooth operations, distribution, and sponsorship