- Los Angeles, CA
Abode Communities is a non-profit organization which help to strengthen and revitalize communities by providing affordable housing to low-income people in underserved neighborhoods through our service enriched programs, property management, architectural planning and development expertise.
The Beyond Homes Program implements and oversees social service programs that will enhance and support a healthy lifestyle for the individuals and families of our developments. We engage resident youth through the Learning and Leadership Program. This program includes homework assistance and enrichment activities with the goal of improving literacy, academic performance, confidence levels and leadership skills in the children and youth living in housing provided by the Abode Communities.
We provide homework assistance for students age 5 to 17. We also support the student with school projects and enhancing their skill level in reading and math. The After-school program operates in the community rooms of several of the sites managed by Abode Communities. The community rooms provide children and youth a safe space to do homework, be creative, interact with other children and receive positive mentoring from the tutors in our program. There are program openings in the Long Beach area, Canoga Park, and North East Los Angeles County.
- Homework assistance and one to one tutoring where applicable.
- Encourage enhancement of skills in reading and math
- Be a positive role model, mentor and leader.
- Maintain open communication with parents and staff of Abode Communities.
- Keep manual and electronic records of activities and attendance.
- Develop and lead special projects with youth.
- Report to the work site on time.
- Must be outgoing and friendly.
- Able to work between the hours of 3:00pm to 7:00pm, 10 hrs per week, Monday through Thursday.
- Ability to work independently as well as a cooperative and effective team member
- Ability to follow and implement lesson plans and schedules
- Strong relational and interpersonal skills; able to relate to various cultures with an understanding of children and youth required.
- Must be reliable, honest and motivated with the ability to motivate others.
- Excellent skills in reading and math required, and must be able to submit proof of college enrollment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Preferred bilingual literacy in English and Spanish
Abode Communities is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.