DIRECTOR OF RESIDENT SERVICES
- Los Angeles, CA
Abode Communities is a regional non-profit architectural, real estate development, property management and resident services firm. The organization’s mission is to open new doors in people’s lives through creative and responsible design, development and operation of service-enhanced affordable housing. An industry leader, Abode Communities has built more than 3,000 units of permanent affordable housing and other community facilities to serve the needs of low income people throughout Southern California. At present, more than 6,100 residents call one of Abode Communities’ affordable housing properties “home.”
Beyond Homes, Abode Communities’ resident services program, provides a range of on-site services at its affordable housing developments--from the Learning and Leadership program for youth, to financial education and job readiness workshops for adults, to case management, advocacy, and health education for seniors. Residents also benefit from dozens of strategic, long-term collaborations with local partners who provide services such as health care, child care, job training and counseling, and other supportive services. Through Beyond Homes, Abode Communities creates a comprehensive safety network for thousands of residents as well as new opportunities for personal growth and improved livelihoods. Beyond Home is currently offered in sixteen (16) of Abode Communities’ Resident Resource Centers throughout Los Angeles County.
The Director of Resident Services directs and oversees the implementation of Abode Communities’ resident services program with the support of a team of resident services coordinators and various community partners. In addition, the Director of Resident Services identifies social services partners and develops services plan for new Resident Resources Centers. The position prepares and implements programs, policies, and procedures, directs, manages and trains staff, develops and controls program budgets, and participates in fundraising. The Director of Resident Services reports to the Vice President of Property Management and Resident Services and is an instrumental partner to housing stability for the residents.
Major Jobs Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities for the position of the Director of Resident Services include the following:
1. Manage and lead the Resident Services Group and oversee and direct Beyond Homes, which includes the coordination and delivery of on-site services and programs for Abode Communities’ existing properties and providing linkages to off-site community resources and supportive services.
2. Plan, develop and implement new resident services programs for all Resident Resource Centers which may include working with the residents, the resident services staff, community partners and local social services organizations.
3. Hire, train, and supervise resident services staff which may include Regional Services Coordinators, Resident Services Coordinators, Site Coordinators, Lab Instructors, and Tutors.
4. Establish and maintain strategic alliances and working relationships with local residents, community-based organizations, social services agencies, and other stakeholders; and prepare, manage and monitor Memorandums of Understanding with service partners.
5. Oversee input and collection of program data for Beyond Homes through Family Metrics; monitor program performance and outcomes to ensure program goals are achieved; analyze and utilize outcome data as the basis for continuous program improvement; and ensure compliance of resident services in accordance with the needs of residents, regulatory agreements and areas of focus identified by Abode Communities.
6. Prepare, monitor and control program and division budget.
7. Work closely with the Development Group to conduct community outreach, develop resident services plans, and prepare the resident services sections of funding applications.
8. Work collaboratively with the Property Management Group to ensure the smooth integration of resident services at the properties and facilitate connections between the residents and the resident services and property management staff to ensure maximum house retention and stable property building operations.
9. Assist and support the Director of Communications and Fund Development with the preparation of grant proposals and applications, monitor and assess program outcomes and impacts for grant reports, and track and monitor grant expenditures related to resident services programs.
10. Stay abreast of current trends and best practices in the area of service-enriched affordable housing and resident services programs; and represent Abode Community within the resident services and affordable housing industries and with public and regulatory agencies, community groups, social services agencies, and funders.
11. Carry out other duties as required to further Abode’s mission in the provision of affordable housing and community building.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Undergraduate degree in social work, psychology, public policy, urban planning or related field and at least ten (10) years of related work experience, including a minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience. A graduate degree, preferably a Masters in Social Work (MSW), may be substituted for three (3) years of experience.
2. Demonstrated supervisory experience in the social services field overseeing experienced staff that work directly with clients and services programs; excellent staff training and supervisory skills; and enthusiasm and team building spirit.
3. Demonstrated ability to initiate and maintain effective, cooperative relationships with low-income residents, community groups, service providers, business leaders, and local government.
4. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and maintain strong relationships with diverse community members and social services agencies.
5. Extensive experience in program development and implementation, with an emphasis on programs related to children, youth, and their families.
6. Knowledgeable of public benefits and social service systems and ability to promote independent living with residents.
7. Strong public presentation skills; excellent oral and written communication skills; strong organizational and coordination skills; and ability to juggle multiple goals and priorities.
8. Proficient with standard computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook and comparable industry data collection and evaluation software.
9. Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
10. Valid California driver’s license and availability of an insured vehicle to travel within Abode service area. Vehicle must meet Abode Communities’ insurance requirements.
The salary is commensurate with experience. Our employee benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, voluntary retirement plan, free parking or public transportation allowance, vacation and sick leave, and a 9/80 work schedule.
Abode Communities is an equal opportunity organization. Women, people of color, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.