JOURNEYMAN MACHINIST- Cook Compression
- Calgary, Canada
Cook has ISO 9001 certified manufacturing centers, strategically located service facilities and technical sales representatives worldwide. Cook is part of Dover Corporation, a diversified manufacturer with annual revenues of over $8 billion.
Under general supervision, performs non-repetitive assignments of a complex and difficult nature involving the set-up and operation of a wide variety of machine tool equipment such as drill press, brake, shear, grinders, computer numerical control equipment and other hand and power machines of similar complexity. May support prototype development activities, working with design engineers on the design feasibility of prototype machine parts and assemblies relative to form, fit and function. Inspects work for conformance to specifications. May provide work leadership to others.
- Work safely and without injury.
- Performs non-repetitive assignments of a complex and difficult nature involving the set-up and operation of a wide variety of machine tool equipment.
- Works from blueprints, rough sketches, production diagrams, engineering drawings and verbal instructions to fabricate a variety of complex machined components.
- Determines operation methods and sequences; lays out, sets up and fabricates precision parts, tooling and fixtures to exacting tolerances and patterns and determine tooling feeds and speeds.
- Checks height, depth and thickness using micrometers, dial indicators, calipers, gauges and other precision-measuring instruments.
- Responsible for prompt and regular attendance as scheduled.
- May rotate into other positions within the team as required to meet production requirements.
- May participate in process development activities.
- May set-up and make “first-article” check on difficult production runs.
- May provide programming support for CNC equipment to obtain optimum machine utilization and minimize scrap loss ensuring proper tool usage.
- May prepare recommendations for improvements in methods or processes relative to improved productivity and quality.
- Implements the Quality Policy and Procedures in all aspects of daily duties and responsibilities.
- May conduct team training for team members.
- May participate in defining strategies to meet quality objectives and in system reviews within the team.
- Participates in team meetings as required (safety, problem solving, etc.).
- Problem-solves individually or as part of a group as job duties require.
- May be required to work overtime.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Eight or more years machining experience.
- Two-year trade school or apprenticeship and four years additional machine shop experience is preferred.
- Must possess basic reading, writing, and computation skills.
- Must have a well-rounded knowledge of fabrication and assembly techniques, tools and equipment, materials and shop equipment.
- Must know the working qualities of a wide variety of materials including aluminum, steel, copper, brass and other metals and plastics.
- Must possess good mechanical aptitude demonstrated as success in previous machine operation or like activities.
- Must possess good manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to continuously improve and learn new skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work under general supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers.
- Ability to effectively problem-solve.
- Good communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
Ability to read, write, verbalize and comprehend instructions and correspondence at the highest levels in the English language. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to customers, clients, and other team members. Conflict resolution skills. Excellent interpersonal skills. Excellent verbal and customer service skills.
Must have basic computation skills equivalent to education requirement. Higher skills may be required depending on actual job duties.
Physical and Visual Activities:
Standing, walking, sitting, lifting, carrying, balancing, stooping, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, acuity-far, acuity-near, depth perception and field of vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is continuously standing, repetitively grasping and repetitively using fine manipulation with the hands. The team member may be frequently required to walk, bend, squat, or twist as well as repetitively push or pull. The team member must lift 10-20 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
This position is performed in a shop environment. Team members in this position may be exposed to loud operating machinery, cold temperatures, chemicals and vapors. The team member may occasionally be required to work in an office environment.
Machines, Tools Equipment, Software:
Bench-type or floor-mounted machines (e.g. drill presses, grinders, broaches, screw machines, manual and CNC mills and lathes, saws, shrink-wrap machines, etc.) hand and power tools, measuring instruments, and lift trucks.