- Orem, UT
American Crafts is a fun, fast-paced (and growing) company focused on designing products for the crafting and scrapbooking industry. We manage multiple brands with products that are are sold in Target, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann Stores, and independent stores across the globe.
When some people hear crafts they may think kitsch, but that is definitely not the case at American Crafts. Our design team incorporates the latest in design, fashion and home decor into its work. We illustrate, design patterns, invent, and do a ton of creative problem solving.
Our products make the world a happier place -- our customers love and are passionate about them. We foster an energetic environment where you can build a career and get to work with other creative and talented people.
We're looking for graphic designers of all experience levels (entry level to seasoned pro) to join our creative team. Competitive salaries are based on experience. Those hired will work closely with the VP of Marketing & Design, Creative Director and Art Directors to design new products. Other design work may include: packaging, marketing materials and other design projects. We want to find talented people who fit our company culture -- we're a friendly, fun-loving bunch that also likes to work hard and put out well-designed products that customers love.
-Designers who can convincingly work in various design styles. Those who excel here are able to apply good design principles across any style or project
- Be sure to look at our site and see what we're about before applying. You don't have to craft or scrapbook to work here (though it certainly doesn't hurt if you do) but you do need to be willing and eager to understand the customers we serve and what will appeal to them
- Bachelor's degree required (BFA preferred) preferably in graphic design, illustration or fine arts
- Strong typography skills preferred; strong illustration skills preferred; ability to pick strong color combinations preferred
- Experience doing surface design (patterns) is preferred. If you have any of these in your portfolio it's a huge plus
- Must have a strong working knowledge of the Adobe suite, with an in-depth knowledge of Adobe Illustrator
- Internship experience preferred but not required
- Ability to mock-up packaging and product preferred, with attention to detail and pride in quality craftsmanship
- Must be highly organized and able to work efficiently on multiple projects to meet deadlines
- Must pay attention to detail and have the ability to work efficiently without sacrificing quality
- Must be able to quickly and effectively communicate through verbal and written channels
- Any cross training in photography, video production or Web design is viewed as a plus, but not required
- Must work full-time from the Orem, Utah office
Here's what the talented members of our creative team say about our culture:
Product development at American Crafts is fast-paced and exciting— I love getting to see my designs turned into real-world products on a regular basis. And it feels great to make fun, happy products that customers love. Richard Murdock
I can honestly say that I love my job. It’s amazing! I like that I get to work in a friendly atmosphere with lots of nice people. The best part is that I spend almost my entire day designing – and I don’t know that you always get that in a job. For a designer, it’s pretty awesome. Caytlyn Chilelli
American Crafts designers aren’t creating products for some stodgy old scrapbook. We incorporate the latest in design, fashion and home decor into our work. We illustrate, we design patterns, we do a lot of creative problem solving. It’s a really fun environment where you get to work with other creative and talented people. Amber Rogers
I like that the design team is made up of a lot of people from various educational and professional backgrounds. Having lots of perspectives makes for stronger work. And everyone here is so friendly. Ayumi Trubshenk