Senior Healthcare Integration Engineer
- Boston, MA
American Well, a national leader in the rapidly growing field of telehealth, seeks a highly motivated and professional Senior Healthcare Integration Engineer. We partner with the top health systems, health plans, employers, and digital health companies to deliver video doctor visits over mobile and web. We are changing the way healthcare is delivered by enabling every doctor to use telehealth with their patients, making care more accessible, affordable and convenient. Our goal is to bring care home.
The Senior Healthcare Integration Engineer will play a critical role in Technical Services. Specifically, the Senior Healthcare Integration Engineer will: be responsible for the design validation, development and maintenance of healthcare integration solutions delivered to health plans, health systems and employers wishing to technically integrate the American Well platform with other infrastructure.
- Design, build and maintain interfaces that facilitate workflows between the American Well platform and client third party systems as scoped
- Document message specifications and technical requirements, including but not limited reverse engineering of existing healthcare IT interfaces to capture requirements when needed
- Maintain and document integration workflows, routes and communication port configurations and scripts to ensure proper versioning and control of upgrades. Use Rhapsody best practices throughout process
- Monitor, configure and tune the configuration of interfaces for high availability once deployed in production environments. Respond to dashboard alerts related to connectivity and payload issues.
- Own troubleshooting and fixing integration support issues in Production
- Create and maintain internal knowledge base, best practices, technical fact sheets and other technical expertise to American Well Customer Support Team (level 2 and level 3 support) as needed and diagnose platform technical issues when requested
- 5+ years of experience developing interfaces that integrate clinical and ancillary systems from major vendors such as registration/admissions, provider order entry, medication administration, charting, electronic medical records, Hospital information systems.
- 3+ years of experience vetting and delivering custom healthcare integration solutions as a scoped to satisfy critical client workflows. Actual client-facing experience is a plus
- Experience with healthcare interoperability and messaging standards, including but not limited to HL7 2.x, HL7 3.x, HL7 GHIR, IHE integration profiles and technical frameworks, and X12 HIPPA transactions and code sets
- Experience with interface engines and/or enterprise service bus architectures, Orion Rhapsody experience a plus
- Experience working with SOAP and REST based web services
- Experience working in Agile environment
- Working knowledge of networking protocols, (e.g TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SOAP,...)
- Strong knowledge of SQL is required
- Strong knowledge of XML technologies (XML, XSD,XSL/XSLT)
- Self-starter, able to work independently, able to succeed in a fast-paced, high intensity start-up environment
- Effective oral and written communications skills. Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills with experience analyzing data necessary to resolve issues uncovered and related to source data
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with ability to manage multiple simultaneous customer engagements
- Ability to evaluate and interpret end user information requirements, and to develop and implement appropriate technical solutions
- Ability to mentor junior team members and apply best practices to all integration development
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, or related field or equivalent. Advanced degree in any of the areas above in a plus.
Should you join American Well and the Technical Services team, you can expect:
The R&D organization is a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, QA and Technical Services dedicated to creating a state of the art TeleHealth experience on every platform we can get our hands on. Our cross-functional teams follow a pragmatic Agile methodology as we balance feature requests, strategic initiatives, tech debt, and exciting partnerships on the path to delivering a market leading product to a quickly growing customer base. We work hand in hand with the whole American Well organization to ensure that our product meets the needs of all of our users.
As a team within the R&D organization, Technical Services delivers client specific platform configurations, custom reporting needs, and integration solutions enabling our platform to work hand in hand with third party systems across our customer base. We love to troubleshoot and diagnose production defects, innovate to expand our out–of-the-box platform and work directly with clients.
Whether you’re an advocate for the latest and greatest iOS and Android features, are committed to the ideal back-end architecture, or are dedicated to providing the best web usability, we have a place for you on our team.
Working at American Well
American Well is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We make online doctor visits accessible to everyone for one-off care issues like colds or infections, and chronic condition management, such as diabetes or depression. We make the hard work of healthcare look easy and that requires a mission-driven mentality. We’re a “go getter” culture that pride itself on smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
• Three weeks of vacation time
• 401K match
• Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
• Free gym access – on-site
• Drop-off/pick up dry cleaning service
• Prime office space with views overlooking all of Boston
• Complimentary snacks and drinks