Vice President, Pharma Partnerships
- 75 State St, Boston, MA 02109, USA
American Well, a national leader in the rapidly growing field of telehealth, seeks a highly motivated and professional Vice President, Pharma Partnerships. We partner with the top health systems, health plans, employers, and digital health companies to deliver video doctor visits over mobile and web. We are changing the way healthcare is delivered by enabling every doctor to use telehealth with their patients, making care more accessible, affordable and convenient. Our goal is to bring care home.
The Vice President, Pharma Partnerships will play a critical role in Corporate Development department. Specifically, the Vice President, Pharma Partnerships will develop, close and manage new collaborations with major pharma, biotech and device companies. The VP will be responsible for identifying attractive candidates, developing the relevant business proposition and pitch, building senior relationships, negotiating and closing deals, and managing key aspects of the relationships post contract. This position focuses primarily on developing new needle-moving opportunities and major strategic partnerships for the company both in the core healthcare delivery market and in new verticals like consumer technology, pharma, retail, government, and international. Deals are a combination of large sales opportunities, strategic relationships, and channel partnerships. Corporate Development is also responsible for M&A and fundraising and for developing corporate strategy. As such, the candidate will be expected to contribute to and lead such efforts as appropriate, based upon company priorities.
Our team culture is based around senior executive relationships, creative and entrepreneurial business propositions, white glove service, and highly polished written and verbal communications – all focused on developing and maintaining major strategic partnerships that complement and extend the scope of our traditional sales force. Given the size, importance, and innovative nature of such relationships, we collaborate regularly and closely with the functional leadership across the company.
· Surface, evaluate, prioritize, manage and take overall responsibility for a pipeline of pharma/biotech/device prospects
· Initiate and develop relationships with target executives who are key influencers and decision makers
· Develop highly polished written and visual presentations both for the general market and for specific high value prospects
· Create relevant business and pricing models, both general and prospect-specific
· Draft proposals, negotiate business terms and close contracts from start to finish
· Take accountability for relationship success through implementation, launch and go-live of key deals
· Assume leadership role in strategic planning processes, board decks, and investor proposals
· Deep knowledge and experience in the pharma, biotech, and medical device markets; experience with digital health and technology background an added plus
· Polished oral and written communications – particularly the ability to tell a compelling, strategic business story in both words and powerpoint visualizations
· Rigorous business thinker with the ability to both think stratetically and work analytically, including facility with quantitative modeling and business planning
· Creative and inspiring leader and communicator with the ability to draw in others – clients, prospects, teammates – to the general vision and specific opportunities at hand
· Excellent team player, with proven track record, capable of working with both senior and junior colleagues, both within Corporate Development and with other American Well functional areas
· Ability to juggle and complete multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced, fluid working environment
· Self-motivated with strong work ethic, committed to meeting the goals of the team and company in a fast-changing industry and business environment
· At least 10 years of experience in pharma/biotech, including 5+ years of consultative sales leadership or corporate development; other direct healthcare experience a plus
· 3+ years of management consulting, PE, VC, or I-Banking experience at a top-tier firm with significant experience in corporate strategy and/or M&A
· Proven track of leading and closing major, strategic deals, and partnership
· Proven track record of building strong, executive relationships with prospects and customers
· Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills
· Proven track record of critical strategic thinking, especially creative strategies for rapid growth
· Knowledge of and experience with leading-edge consumer technologies a plus
· BA in economics, finance, math or other quantitative/analytic field
· MBA or another advanced degree from top professional or graduate schools
Should you join American Well and the Corporate Development team, you can expect:
Corporate Development is a fast-paced, dedicated team focused on shaping the present and future of American Well. We are seeking strategic thinkers with strong analytical proficiency, a flair for creative writing and problem-solving to work alongside us in a hard-working environment. Whether whiteboarding new business models or negotiating game-changing partnerships, expect to work closely with our executive team and for each day to bring a new set of exciting challenges. Our current priorities include developing strategic partnerships, closing large deals, working with strategic accounts, pursuing international opportunities, evaluating M&A opportunities, shaping corporate strategy, and working closely with the company’s executive leadership and other key American Well stakeholders.
Working at American Well
American Well is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We make online doctor visits accessible to everyone for one-off care issues like colds or infections, and chronic condition management, such as diabetes or depression. We make the hard work of healthcare look easy and that requires a mission-driven mentality. We’re a “go getter” culture that pride itself on smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
• Unlimited Personal Time Off (Vacation time)
• 401K match
• Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
• Free gym access – on-site
• Prime office space with views overlooking all of Boston
• Complimentary snacks and drinks