- Salt Lake City, UT
Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products include: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
AncestryDNA, is the world's largest consumer genomics database providing consumers insights into their ancestral origins. The service enables customers to not only uncover their ethnic mix and rich family stories, but discover distant relatives with a common ancestral match, and help solve the toughest family mysteries.
Ancestry by the numbers:
- Since 1996, more than 16 billion records have been added, and users have created more than 70 million family trees on the Ancestry flagship site and its affiliated international websites.
- More than 1.2 million people genotyped in the AncestryDNA database.
- Ancestry revenues have increased from $225M in 2009 to $620M in 2014.
The company has more than 1,300 employees in locations across the globe. Headquartered in Utah, Ancestry has offices in San Francisco, Dublin, London, Sydney, Munich, and Stockholm.
AncestryProGenealogists is the research division of Ancestry. With excellent researchers on staff, Ancestry ProGenealogists has developed training, tools, and processes that aid in the delivery of high quality and cost effective research services to media groups, corporations, law firms, and consumers. Ancestry ProGenealogists has researched histories for several television shows such as Who Do You Think You Are?and Showtime’s production The Tudors.
Reporting to a Team Lead, this position will be based out of the Ancestry ProGenealogists office in Salt Lake City, Utah.
This is an entry level professional position with potential for significant growth in the organization for the right candidate. The Assistant Genealogist works with Research Managers to research, document, and prepare client sessions. They assist in gathering materials, clerical work, records dissemination and support to allow the Research Managers to focus on the Research project and analysis.
Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:
- Provide clerical and research assistance to professional genealogists
- Format and conduct preliminary proofing of reports
- Create image templates and assemble client deliverables (electronic and hardcopy)
- Conduct basic searches at various archives, libraries, online and onsite as directed to solve genealogy problems
- Collect and organize data and complete accurate data entry
- Accurately track time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Perform administrative and office support activities for multiple Research managers.
- Degree in Family History Research, English, History or related field or 1-2 years of professional genealogical research
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Proficient in web based tools
- Minimum 55 wpm typing speed.
- Basic understanding of administrative and clerical procedures
- Ability to manage and prioritize several tasks simultaneously
- Able to take and follow direction well
- Self-starter with the desire and energy to achieve goals under tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Foreign language experience preferred
- Editing experience is preferred
- Spanish and Italian speaking a PLUS!
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.