Director, Paid Search Marketing
- San Francisco, CA
Ancestry.com is the world's largest online resource for family history. We have helped pioneer the market for online family history research, taking a pursuit that was expensive and time-consuming and making it easy, affordable and accessible to anyone with an interest in their family history. The foundation of our service is an extensive collection of billions of historical records that we have digitized, indexed and put online over the past 17 years. These digital records and documents, combined with our proprietary online search technologies, tools and collaboration features, have enabled our more than two million subscribers to create over 13 billion historical records, along with millions of DNA results to make meaningful discoveries about the lives of their ancestors.
With over 1,400 employees around the world, we are known for our cutting-edge technology, phenomenal innovation, and offer a compelling and rewarding workplace where you will thrive. We seek out passionate people to join our mission of helping people discover, preserve and share their family history. We invite you to explore and discover the many opportunities that await you at Ancestry.com.
This role requires a visionary who can affect change across a complex organization with dependencies that include engineering, infrastructure, program management, and product management while working with external technology vendors to deliver on a long-term roadmap. The individual in this role is self-motivated, entrepreneurial and has a minimum of seven years direct experience managing high performance paid search teams. The individual is responsible for leading the strategic development, technology and management of Ancestry’s global paid search marketing efforts.
As a leader at Ancestry, this person will be responsible for leading a team of four search marketing experts across two locations while partnering with stakeholders globally. This person also owns responsibility for external technology platforms used in management of search marketing efforts.
The Search Engine Marketing program at Ancestry is advanced, with millions of keywords, thousands of ad copy and landing page tests each year, and dynamic personalization systems in place to ensure we’re at the cutting edge of what’s possible – and continue to push boundaries!
This position is based in our San Francisco, CA office right by Caltrain and AT&T Park. You will be working in a start-up like environment where you will have the opportunity to see your improvements deployed, but with the benefit of working for an established company.
Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:
- As the leader of the paid search team you will be responsible to:
- Lead and manage the performance of highly capable paid search experts
- Partner closely with engineering and marketing infrastructure to ensure we are using technology to drive the most relevant customer experience to paid search visitors
- Obsessively monitor and report on performance. Forecast, prepare and manage financial targets and budgets for paid search program
- Refine multi-brand bidding strategy maximizing lifetime margin
- Lead and improve upon keyword bidding strategy, automating modeling to factor in relevant data points from external and internal sources
- Foster and maintain relationships with advertising, technology and publisher partners
- Develop comprehensive targeting strategies, working with business intelligence and marketing infrastructure teams to deliver and analyze required data
- Partner with analytics and technology vendors such as Marin Software to define and implement technology roadmap
- Steward the paid search marketing program from a keyword-based system to the next generation of 1:1 customer communication leveraging current and future personalization capabilities (RLSA, etc)
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop copy, creative and landing page/funnels via continuous testing
- Keep abreast of market, consumer trends and competition
- 7+ years of experience leading high performance search marketing teams
- Experience partnering with technology providers, bidding platforms and content management systems to maximize paid search practice
- Proven experience in executing profitable paid search programs at scale
- Highly analytical with ability to synthesize large amounts of data and make decisions around campaigns, optimization
- Technical understanding of search engine bidding systems and underlying technologies and APIs
- Excellent communication and change management skills
- Passion for data and strong bias for action, willingness to roll up sleeves and dig in as needed
- Strong work ethic and desire to be the best in current area of focus
- Bachelors degree required, masters preferred
Ancestry.com is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry.com is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry.com via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry.com. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry.com as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.