Senior Director, Digital Marketing
- San Francisco, CA
Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products include: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
AncestryDNA, is the world's largest consumer genomics database providing consumers insights into their ancestral origins. The service enables customers to not only uncover their ethnic mix and rich family stories, but discover distant relatives with a common ancestral match, and help solve the toughest family mysteries.
Ancestry by the numbers:
- Since 1996, more than 16 billion records have been added, and users have created more than 70 million family trees on the Ancestry flagship site and its affiliated international websites.
- More than 1.2 million people genotyped in the AncestryDNA database.
- Ancestry revenues have increased from $225M in 2009 to $620M in 2014.
The company has more than 1,300 employees in locations across the globe. Headquartered in Utah, Ancestry has offices in San Francisco, Dublin, London, Sydney, Munich, and Stockholm.
This Senior Director of Digital Marketing role is responsible for developing, executing and growing Ancestry’s paid digital marketing. This role will lead offsite acquisition and paid retention marketing plans for all of the company’s business lines; overseeing the paid media efforts across search, paid social, display, partners, affiliates and content marketing. He/she will also manage a group of highly skilled channel managers and be responsible for talent development and growth within the digital team. This position owns the digital strategy that drives the company's subscriber acquisition, DNA kit sales, revenue stream, profit and overall growth. The role requires both hands-on granular knowledge of digital marketing in combination with deep people management experience.
Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:
- Develop & oversee the global digital marketing strategy, financial performance and organizational structure to achieve company & marketing channel performance targets
- Drive growth in Ancestry’s digital channels for the U.S. and all core international markets
- Lead, recruit, motivate & mentor a high performing team of a dozen digital marketing experts. Instill digital marketing best practices and nurture their career growth.
- Act as strategic partner & internal digital marketing advocate to cross-functional teams including; Product, Analytics, Finance, Creative and Engineering to further develop marketing initiatives and test new processes to improve digital marketing efforts
- Proactively identify opportunities for innovation & incremental business opportunities. Develop business cases, gain endorsement and execute.
- Identify workflow optimization opportunities within & across teams. Create processes to improve efficiency, ultimately driving additional business value for the company
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of digital marketing experience, with a strong focus on direct response/ROI driven marketing (subscription background a plus)
- 8+ years of people management experience
- Must have experience with paid search, affiliates, display media, and paid social channels
- Demonstrated success in scaling new customer acquisition programs across both the US and international markets and across multiple digital channels
- Technically proficient – understands not only how to leverage paid media, but the systems and technologies necessary to effectively integrate with media partners, as well as track and measure initiatives
- Exceptional analytical skills, specifically ability to assemble and interpret data, create executive summaries and deliver actionable business insights
- Experience working with multiple digital technology platforms including Search, Display and Paid Social management platforms
- Strong project management skills and ability to structure and prioritize work in a manner that best fits the team and company needs
- Ability to anticipate needs, innovate, multi-task and excel in a fast paced, changing environment
- BA/BS degree. MBA preferred.
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry.com as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.