Genealogist Research Manager
- Salt Lake City, UT
Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products include: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
AncestryDNA, is the world's largest consumer genomics database providing consumers insights into their ancestral origins. The service enables customers to not only uncover their ethnic mix and rich family stories, but discover distant relatives with a common ancestral match, and help solve the toughest family mysteries.
Ancestry by the numbers:
- Since 1996, more than 16 billion records have been added, and users have created more than 70 million family trees on the Ancestry flagship site and its affiliated international websites.
- More than 1.2 million people genotyped in the AncestryDNA database.
- Ancestry revenues have increased from $225M in 2009 to $620M in 2014.
The company has more than 1,300 employees in locations across the globe. Headquartered in Utah, Ancestry has offices in San Francisco, Dublin, London, Sydney, Munich, and Stockholm.
is the research division of Ancestry. With excellent researchers on staff, AncestryProGenealogists has developed training, tools, and processes that aid in the delivery of high quality and cost effective research services to media groups, corporations, law firms, and consumers. AncestryProGenealogists has researched histories for several television shows such as Who Do You Think You Are?and Showtime’s production The Tudors.
Reporting to a Team Manager, this position will be based out of the AncestryProGenealogists office in Salt Lake City, Utah.
AncestryProGenealogists seeks an individual who is passionate about family history and has the skill and desire to be the primary interface between AncestryProGenealogists and our clients. Key to this role is experience in genealogical research as well as project/client relationship management. This is a professional position with potential for excellent growth within the organization for the right candidate.
Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:
Manage effective and efficient genealogical research at various archives, libraries, online, and onsite in order to solve client’s research challenges primarily achieved through the utilization of independent contractors and in-house researchers.
- Client account management and the ability to manage multiple client engagements.
- Client project management including adherence to scope, budget and deadlines.
- Resource management including developing mutually beneficial relationships with independent contractors.
- Present client deliverables including journals and reports of research findings in an organized, coherent, and consumable manner.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced team environment directing the work of various researchers and assistant genealogists.
- Knowledgeable about available sources and archives from around the world.
- Bachelor’s in Family History, History, or related field.
- 3-4 years of professional genealogical research experience. This is not a research position but that knowledge is critical to understand the genealogical research process and to direct other professional researchers.
- 4 years managing client facing projects in a professional environment.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills, self-motivated, energetic, "can-do" attitude in a fast-moving environment.
- Strong research and analytical mindset. Extremely detail-oriented.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Creative problem-solver
- Foreign language skills a plus
- Certification or accreditation a plus
- Genealogy experience is required
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry.com via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry.com. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.