DEFINITION: Under the direction of a veterinarian, assists in the provisions of basic care for animals in the shelter by providing support to the licensed veterinary technicians and veterinarians. Performs initial screening examinations, documents medical findings, and administer a variety of medical treatment. Facilitates accurate and timely data entry, including photographic documentation as needed. Administers topical and oral medications, bathe and groom animals, and provide direct assistance to veterinary medical staff as otherwise directed. Ensures basic maintenance tasks are performed in a timely fashion to ensure smooth functioning of the department.
This position is based within the medical department at a specific AC&C location but flexibility to work at other locations may occasionally be required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform initial screening examinations of animals arriving at the Care Centers and identify animals requiring further veterinary attention
- Administer oral and topical medications
- Implant microchips
- Assist in feeding and other basic husbandry care of animals
- Clean medical areas, kennels and cages as needed
- Perform humane euthanasia
- Maintain handling and restraint equipment
- Accurately document medical exam findings, vaccinations, and treatment in Chameleon medical records
- Assist in stocking and maintenance of adequate inventory
- Facilitate transfer of animals from intake areas through medical and into appropriate housing
- Work cooperatively with AC&C volunteers and partners
- Other duties as assigned by the medical supervisor
REPORTS TO: Medical supervisor
OVERTIME: This position is eligible for overtime.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.