Medical Clerk - Brooklyn Care Center
- New York, NY
Animal Care & Control of NYC (AC&C) is the largest pet organization in the northeast, rescuing nearly 34,000 each year. As a not-for-profit since 1995, AC&C is under contract with the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) to rescue, care for and find loving homes for homeless and abandoned animals in NYC. To service all NYC communities, AC&C operates facilities in all five boroughs. AC&C is a Full Service animal organization that takes in any animal in need in NYC.
Definition: Oversee and manage inventory for the department, including controlled substances. Act as DEA agent for the shelter's direct registration for controlled substances. Maintain accurate drug logs and complete reports as required by law and/or AC&C policy. Review and ensure quality data entry within the medical department as well as quality control and appropriate follow-up in Chameleon. Assist the lead veterinary technician in organizational management of the department, including scheduling, payroll, and oversight of veterinary technicians and assistants. Assist with additional duties in the role of veterinary assistant as needed to ensure smooth operations and delivery of care within the shelter.
This position is based within the medical department at a specific AC&C location.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Order and maintain controlled substances within the shelter, including regular monitoring and reporting requirements.
- Assist in departmental scheduling, including personnel.
- Coordinate scheduling with partner organizations (e.g. ASPCA mobile spay-neuter units).
- Maintain and oversee maintenance, servicing, and repair of medical equipment.
- Monitor and create regular reporting for services provided within the medical department (e.g. surgical logs, etc).
- Ensure compliance with relevant regulatory laws (e.g. medical waste, radiograph badges, etc).
- Monitor data entry and quality control issues related to the medical department.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of medications and supplies within budget.
- Assist with handling and treatments as needed to facilitate delivery of care, including assisting with humane euthanasia.
- Monitor and maintain rabies specimen logs and serve as liaison with DOHMH regarding rabies specimen testing.
- Work with the medical director to ensure compliance with relevant state law and city code.
- Other duties as assigned by the lead veterinary technician, veterinarian, or medical director.
Work Environment: The employee will regularly be exposed to the following: potentially zoonotic diseases (including rabies), aggressive animals, loud noises (e.g. barking dogs), and odors. Examination, restraint, and treatment of a high number of animals is physically and emotionally demanding. Euthanasia is performed in the facility and assisting with euthanasia is a specific job task for this position.
Reports to: Veterinarian and Lead Veterinary Technician.
Overtime: This position is not exempt from overtime.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may be required to perform other related duties to meet the on-going needs of the organization.
Animal Care & Control of New York City is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate because of race, color, creed, gender, religion, national origin, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, or sexual orientation. Accommodations will be provided to qualified individuals requiring them.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- High school diploma required.
- Attention to detail and ability to maintain accurate and complete records.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Dependable, reliable, and efficient.
- Must have NYS driver's license.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.