Project Specialist - Language Technology
- Detroit, MI
Appen develops high quality speech and language technology solutions namely used in car navigation systems, mobile phones, word processing packages, directory assistance, speaker verification tools and hand-held machine translation devices. Our staff comprises Linguists, IT professionals and Project Managers who collaborate to produce quality work in over 100 different languages for many of the world’s leading companies.
Location: Metro Detroit
APPEN IS UNABLE TO COVER RELOCATION COST FOR THIS POSITION.
- Hours: 40hrs/wk depending on project needs
- Length: Open ended (at least 3 months)
- Start date is mid-January 2016
Appen is a leader in linguistic solutions and has a strong track record in meeting the needs of clients with complex and novel language resource requirements. Have you proven yourself to take on complex problems, analyze issues and make decisions in a timely and consultative manner?
To meet our current and future work commitments we are inviting applications from Individuals with at least 2 years relevant experience and comfortable with telecommuting. The role is seen as crucial to the success of Appen’s plans to expand capabilities in the US, and ability in managing concurrent projects is essential. The successful candidate will join a friendly and dynamic management team supporting top language technology clients in the metro Detroit area. Our Project Management staff come from a number of backgrounds including (but not limited to) Linguistics, and Computational Linguistics.
The Project Specialist will coordinate teams of professionals towards customer project delivery on time and on budget, while simultaneously handling key stakeholder relationships. You will need to be a highly motivated, ‘results driven’ individual, with superior organizational skills and have experience in project coordination in a technology or language related environment. You will be a natural leader, with excellent communication skills, that enable you to build relationships and motivate project team members.
This is a flexible position where you will split your time between working from home, at an office, or onsite with one of our clients. The successful candidate will need to be based in the metro Detroit area. Interstate and overseas travel may be required from time to time.
- Manage speech and language technology related projects to achieve targets in relation to quality, timelines, scope and cost and budgeted/contracted outcomes
- Oversee and coordinate the work of native speaker contractors
- Prepare and implement project plans, prepare reports and project-related materials
- Manage risks and issues and undertake recovery actions as necessary
- Recruit appropriate resources, where necessary
- Liaise with clients, sub-contractors and other stakeholders
How to apply:
Please register your details and upload your resume using the below link:
- Exposure to linguistics or a language related field, gained through relevant studies or work experience
- A relevant tertiary degree with strong academic performance
- Must have a current and valid driver’s license
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral
- High levels of energy and motivation
- Commercial orientation and sound commercial judgment
- Good analytical skill and problem solving ability
- A proactive “can-do” attitude
- Accountable and results-driven
- Ability to work in stressful situations
- Self-discipline to work from home independently while fulfilling challenging demands of multiple projects
- Aptitude for computational tasks (interacting with engineering teams, running scripts and working with new software).
- Experience with audio-visual equipment, audio engineering degree a plus
- An interest in and knowledge of languages
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.