Legal Counsel - Commercial
- Shelton, CT 06484, USA
BIC® products are recognized all over the world for their quality, safety, affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, and the shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® an iconic international brand, present in more than 4 million retail outlets in more than 160 countries around the world.
BIC’s founder, Marcel Bich, understood that to succeed, BIC needed hands-on team members who were willing to take measured risks and assume responsibility for their role in a team. Today, we provide our more than 15,000 team members in 61 countries with the opportunity to invent BIC’s future – together – while honoring our past achievements. We are committed to our team members’ development and empower those who wish to discover different areas of our business or acquire international experiences.
The Legal Counsel position delivers timely, independent and practical advice and counsel primarily to BIC’s U.S. and Canada business teams in support of a variety of commercial transactions by reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial agreements; evaluating and providing advice regarding marketing, advertising and promotional programs; and providing data and privacy subject matter expertise.
This position has responsibility for evaluating legal risks and advising the company to protect against liabilities while helping to drive the business.
- Review, analyze and provide counsel to the U.S. and Canada marketing teams regarding advertising campaigns, product claim substantiation and complex promotions.
- Review, draft, and negotiate various types of commercial agreements to facilitate sales and marketing programs and to support the overall business operations.
- Collaborate with and oversee the work of the North America paralegals product regarding packaging & labeling requirements, marketing promotions and activations including contests, sweepstakes, influencers, experiential tours, coupons, rebates, brand and ecommerce websites and mobile applications.
- Provide counsel and support on various data privacy matters including GDPR, state data privacy laws, and various other data privacy issues to ensure company complies with applicable laws and regulations.
- People Development: Assist in the development of and provide coaching to paralegals; provide training for clients and prepare and update client reference guides and materials.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) and member of Connecticut and/or other state bar in good standing; without admission in Connecticut must be eligible to register as Connecticut Authorized House Counsel - is required
- A minimum of 5 years practicing commercial & marketing law in an in-house or law firm setting with significant experience drafting and negotiating agreements is a must
- Must have experience in some of the following areas: packaging & labeling requirements, marketing promotions and activations (including contests, sweepstakes, influencers, experiential tours, coupons, rebates, brand and e-commerce websites, mobile applications) and/or product claim substantiation.
- This position requires excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong contract review, drafting and negotiation skills
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to take on significant responsibilities and work well under pressure and on multiple projects
- This position requires an appreciation of business objectives and challenges and the ability to clearly translate legal terms to effectively communicate the legal issues that affect business opportunities
- Continuing education will be necessary in relevant areas of data privacy & cybersecurity, social media, advertising, promotion, and marketing laws is a must
- Some travel (including international) required
BIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly commit to hiring people with different backgrounds and experiences to help us build better products, make better decisions, and better serve our customers. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or similar characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
BIC is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any team member at BIC via email, or directly to a BIC team member in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of BIC, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by BIC as a result of the referral or through other means.