Senior Software Engineer - Backend
- Chicago, IL, USA
What we're doing at BRD (formerly known as BreadWallet)
BRD is at the heart of a financial revolution. We're building the missing piece of infrastructure that ties together the essential functionality of a bank, but where individuals retain complete control over their assets. As a a financial infrastructure company, our mission is unlikely to ever be complete. We need continually strive to bring the power of our apps to new regions of the world, some of which have never had wide access to banking functionality.
Our approach to this problem heavily focuses on several core tenets. For one, we will never have direct control or visibility over customer funds. It is not our job to interfere in the personal financial lives of our customers. This is accomplished by using digital assets like Bitcoin, and a mobile app like ours which manages its assets on-device.
The second tenet of our approach is to provide integration with the traditional financial system. Regardless of the currency, people still need to get paid, pay their bills, pay for goods at merchants, and send money to their family and friends. We are building infrastructure that integrates with local financial businesses that tie in with local currencies and adhere to local laws.
Finally, we need to fight for a quality consumer experience. This is why we try to retain control over every moment of our customer's interaction with our products. We relentlessly design, redesign, test, and experiment to ensure our customers have a positive, safe experience.
You will be expected to be able to scope a project implementation, digest it and execute - you contribute to several multifunctional teams when required to step in.
- Delivering on the “hard parts” with ease
- Guides projects in your competency to technical success
- Innovation in execution
- Always seeking to reduce complexity
As a leader in the realm of the technical, it is expected this person be persuasive and have good consensus building skills as much as being innovative in solutions.
- Proactively mentors team mates
- Drives and mediates on team technical implementation details
- Partners closely with Director on technical approach
- Partners with Product Manager / Engineering Director regarding technical concerns on projects
- Knows when and does escalate to Director, CTO, VP and any meta teams to solve problems for teams
- 10+ years experience in increasing levels of responsibility
- 1+ year with GoLang at scale
- Production level experience with Node
- 2+ languages. Prefer both typed and not typed (e.g Node and Go, Java)
- ~10 years with a mix of relational / nosql stores
- Excellent handle on at-scale system architecture
- Experience with tradition devops tools and preferably newer containerized systems
- Strong mentorship ability, but no human management required
- Comfortable delivering complex specifications to larger teams for execution
- Ability to work comfortably from imagining a solution through execution and then iteration
- Experience working in Agile cross-functional teams, with some ability to mentor/advise across project teams
Bonus points for:
- Crypto currency experience will help you get up to speed quicker
- Animations & user interaction design are important as well
What it's like to work here
We've built a lively remote work culture that emphasizes regular personal interaction. At Bread, we started as a remote team and have built our workflows around it. This allows us to hire people who want to work with us, regardless of where they've decided to settle (or roam).
Work-life balance is important to everyone at Bread, and we strive to ensure everyone has enough time for family, exercise, and mental health. In our opinion, a happy and healthy team is an essential ingredient to finding creative solutions to the hard problems we're trying to solve.
We're more operationally transparent than you may be used to. The entire Bread team has access to a variety of dashboards that help our distributed team make better decisions. If you have a question that can't be answered by a dashboard or an easy query, let's see if we can fix that.
Bread is committed to building an actively inclusive work environment that makes our team an excellent home for everyone—regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, education, age, or other personal characteristics.
You should include these in your application:
- Resume and LinkedIn profile
- Links to code samples on Github, Gitlab, etc
Email us your resume and a personal note and we will get back to you as soon as possible.