Senior Software Engineer - Java Server
- Remote, OR, United States
What we're doing at BRD
BRD is a team made up of innovators, self-starters, independent thinkers, and builders that are at the heart of a financial revolution. We go against the grain to change the world. We’re enabling true financial sovereignty to people around the globe by building out the infrastructure and consumer applications surrounding Bitcoin, cryptocurrencies, and other digital assets. BRD is a completely non-custodial wallet, making it the most reliable and secure way to hold funds without the need for a bank or third party. Your money is your money.
If you’re a disruptor with a relentless attitude to make a difference, then BRD may be your next home. As a financial infrastructure company, our mission is unlikely to ever be complete. We continually strive to bring the power of our apps to new regions of the world, some of which have never had wide access to banking functionality. To date, BRD supports over 3 million users across 171 countries, but this is just the beginning.
Until BRD, non-custodial applications have been clunky and difficult to use, causing people to give up and use custodial options instead. The main reason for our success is because we combine the intuitiveness that custodial options offer, with the security of a non-custodial, completely peer-to-peer system. We rigorously design, redesign, test, and experiment to ensure our customers have a positive, safe experience.
BRD has taken the consumer market by storm, and now we are also taking the enterprise world by its horns with the release of a new product, Blockset. Blockset essentially takes the infrastructure built over the years with BRD and productizes it into a powerful B2B solution acting as a bridge for banks and large financial institutions to enter the crypto world.
Lastly, we embrace a decentralized culture. We put high amounts of trust with whoever works with us. That is why all employees of BRD get unlimited vacation days, sick days, and have the option of working completely remotely, although we do have offices globally in San Jose, Bend OR, Chicago, and Tokyo. We host multiple in-person meetups throughout the year that are not only lots of fun, but also a great way to strategize our next steps, get closer as a team, and celebrate our accomplishments.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team who will be responsible for assisting and eventually leading the architecture of a new product line. This is currently a stealth project team but more will be revealed very soon. Our main product is a cryptocurrency wallet currently supporting over 150 assets. We are looking to add many more assets, dramatically improve the user experience in our app, as well as potentially develop new lines of business.
In this role, you will:
- Interface with product owners to gather requirements
- Work closely with internal engineering server-side and mobile teams to design and develop new features and new solutions
- Work with team to define the infrastructure requirements and coordinate provisioning
- Provide assessment to solutions, benefits, risks, schedule, impact on operations to productize the concepts
- Ensure adherence to standards for design & development
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of backend experience including Java and Spring Boot
- 5+ years of experience building small and large scale server systems
- Solid understanding of high-performance scalable systems
- Extensive experience architecting, designing, developing, delivering and supporting cloud based backend solutions using Java, Spring, REST services, Cassandra, Kafka
Nice to Haves
- Strong knowledge of data structures, concurrency, design patterns, object-oriented software engineering best practices
- Security domain knowledge
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Team-oriented, experience working with distributed teams, ability to work independently
- Entrepreneurial spirit, innovative, self-motivated, reliable, adaptable with a positive attitude
- Excellent language as well as business and technical communication skills
- Postgres, Redis, Golang experience
- Cryptocurrency knowledge is a plus
What it's like to work here
We've built a lively remote work culture that emphasizes regular personal interaction. At BRD, we started as a remote team and have built our workflows around it. This allows us to hire people who want to work with us, regardless of where they've decided to settle (or roam).
Work-life balance is important to everyone at BRD, and we strive to ensure everyone has enough time for family, exercise, and mental health. In our opinion, a happy and healthy team is an essential ingredient to finding creative solutions to the hard problems we're trying to solve.
We're more operationally transparent than you may be used to. The entire BRD team has access to a variety of dashboards that help our distributed team make better decisions. If you have a question that can't be answered by a dashboard or an easy query, let's see if we can fix that.
BRD is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building an actively inclusive work environment that makes our team an excellent home for everyone—regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, education, age, or other personal characteristics. We cultivate a culture that is conducive to diversity, equity and inclusion! Further, all your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
You should include these in your application:
- Resume and LinkedIn profile
- Links to code samples on Github, Gitlab, etc
Email us your resume and a personal note and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
BRD is an equal opportunity employer. We cultivate a culture that is conducive to diversity, equity and inclusion! All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.