HBJV Community Relations Manager
- Leroy, SK S0K 2P0, Canada
- Department: Corporate Management
- Market Segment: Mining, Infrastructure, and Construction
Bantrel is proud to be a leading provider of engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) services in Canada.
Since our inception in 1983, we have delivered end-to-end solutions for some of Canada’s most challenging and complex energy projects, while consistently maintaining job safety, time management, and the highest degree of quality. In addition to having core business operations in Energy and Sustaining Capital industries, Bantrel also provides EPC services to clients in the Power and Mining & Metals industries, Canada-wide.
Our global reach and local touch is demonstrated by our affiliation with our parent company, Bechtel Corporation, one of the largest EPC companies in the world, and with McCaig Investments, a Calgary-based holding company with longstanding ties to the local business community.
Hatch and Bantrel have formed the Hatch Bantrel Joint Venture (HBJV) to execute engineering and construction on the BHP Jansen Potash Mine Project in Saskatchewan. After successfully completing the Definition Phase Study for the project, the HBJV is currently carrying out the Detailed Engineering Phase for the Processing, Non-Process Infrastructure (NPI) and Mining Areas of the 4.5 Mtpa Stage 1 Potash Mine. With a published TIC of US $5.3-5.7 Billion this will represent one of the largest projects and private investments in Canada. The HBJV will use a hybrid of best-in-class new developing technologies and systems as well as the proven HBJV suite of tools to execute this exciting project.
The HBJV has an exciting opportunity for a Site Community Manager to support Jansen. The HBJV Site Community Manager reports to the HBJV Site Manager, and works closely with the HBJV Construction Team and Contractors to ensure HBJV key performance indicators are tracked and socio-economic targets achieved. The HBJV Community Manager also works closely with the BHP Corporate Affairs Team to collaborate on Community outreach and provide consistent messaging between the BHP and HBJV Teams (including Contractors) related to Community requirements. This position is based at the Project site with frequent travel, as required, for community outreach.
* Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The responsibilities of the HBJV Community Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Implement and update the HBJV Indigenous and Local Content Plan (ILCP), as required.
- Act as a liaison between BHP Corporate Affairs Team and the HBJV Construction Management Team.
- Represent HBJV on the Jansen Contractor Leadership Group (CLG), assisting with coordination of community-relevant HSEC forums, and tracking the progress of HBJV Contractors in meeting their socio-economic commitments and targets.
- Conduct periodic reviews of HBJV socio-economic targets with the applicable project management.
- Provide monthly socio-economic reports to Project Management and BHP.
- Development of site-based HBJV Community program and oversight of activities.
- Provide oversight on the delivery of the HBJV Community and Cultural Awareness component of the overall site orientation.
- Working with the BHP Corporate Affairs Team and the HBJV Site Manager:
- Conduct skills inventories in Indigenous and local communities in close proximity to Jansen to identify existing capabilities and future skill sets for construction;
- Work with training institutions in Saskatchewan to identify existing training programs and graduate profiles of local and Indigenous peoples with a view towards preparation for upcoming workforce positions;
- Work with local associations and the business community to match business opportunities at Jansen with the skills and capabilities of local, Indigenous and Saskatchewan businesses for contract and/or supply opportunities;
- Monitor, maintain, and support response to all Community complaints and grievances, remedial actions and reporting;
- Provide support for public meetings, site visits and individual stakeholder meetings (including attendance); and,
- Development of site updates and relevant information for review and approval by BHP.
- Attendance at Project management and BHP Local Procurement Committee meetings, as required.
- Candidate must be a resident of Saskatchewan with an excellent working knowledge of the Indigenous and local communities, along with a general knowledge of municipal, provincial and federal levels of government.
- University or post-secondary degree with at least 3-5 years’ experience in Community Management or Coordination role required. Experience on a large industrial construction project is preferred.
- Experience executing a Community program in accordance with Project commitments. Previous experience managing skills development or training programs is considered an asset. Experience in an Engineering, Procurement, and Construction Management (EPCM) environment is considered an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong respectful relationships with a variety of groups, from the grassroots to senior levels, both internally and externally.
- Effective communicator, both written and verbal, with the ability to present to a variety of audiences.
- Strong business acumen and facilitation skills.
- Ability to work autonomously to set and accomplish priorities based on broad objectives in a continuously evolving context.
- High energy with the ability to work in a project environment.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.