Area Cost Engineer
- Leroy, SK S0K 2P0, Canada
- Department: Cost Control
- Market Segment: Mining, Infrastructure, and Construction
Bantrel is proud to be a leading provider of Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) services in Canada.
Since our inception in 1983, we have delivered end-to-end solutions for some of Canada’s most challenging and complex energy, mining and infrastructure projects, with an unrelenting focus on safety, while delivering to the highest degree of quality. Bantrel performs design and procurement services from our Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto offices and delivers construction management and self perform construction services at various Client sites across Canada.
Our global reach and local touch is demonstrated by our affiliation with our parent company, Bechtel Corporation, one of the largest EPC companies in the world, and with McCaig Investments, a Canadian owned private company with longstanding ties to the local business community.
- Perform performance monitoring and control functions for specific applications per applicable procedures.
- Maintain cost budgets and accurate cost forecasts, utilizing a change management system and monitoring project status. Performs ongoing cost data and cash flow analysis.
- Forecast monthly incurred costs, prepare monthly cost accruals, and explain the variances.
- Support efforts to re-cast project estimates into manageable cost control budgets per project requirements
- Maintain or coordinate the project cost change management system (trending).
- Execute month-end activities in a timely manner to meet reporting deadlines.
- Use Engineering Material Take Offs (MTO’s) to verify scope and budget.
- Prepare cost reconciliations during preparation of estimates and performs data analysis, identifies problems, and makes recommendations.
- Forecast cost escalation for assigned scope and monitor the escalation exposure.
- Assist in preparing cost data for proposals and contract negotiations. Reconcile received bids with control budgets for a specific scope.
- Coordinate the performance of, pricing structure development and application to takeoffs, derived quantities, quantity assumption, and cost allowances within a discipline or other specialty.
- Prepare pricing schedules for construction contracts to support the RFP process.
- Establish Payment Milestones and methodologies – Rules of Credit/Milestone Based Progress etc.
- Support the commercial evaluation cycle for Construction and Procurement Packages.
- Support specific project code of accounts and recommends appropriate modifications and revisions. Maintain field quantity unit rate reports and monitors performance factors.
- Supporting role in developing and implementing requirements for cost recording and reporting.
- Prepare and review distributable and/or contractors indirect cost estimates; developing basis for temporary facilities, miscellaneous construction services, construction tools and equipment, non-manual manpower, start-up services, payroll taxes and insurance, camp facilities and operation, and other field office costs
- Coordinate/prepare information input into specific cost studies. Evaluate study results and recommend conclusions for project team consideration and discussion
- Identify or define data sources and techniques for data acquisition and collects required data for a specific discipline or other specialty applications
- Assist in conceptual designs, studies, various reports, and proposals
- Contribute to Project Progress Reports as delegated.
* Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance. This will be a camp position on a 14 day on 7 day off rotation.
In this full-time permanent role, as a champion of diversity & inclusion, you will:
- 5 - 10 years experience in a Project Controls related field with increasing levels of responsibility. Demonstrates a willingness and aptitude to learn more about Cost Control and overall Project Controls.
- Experience performing quantity takeoffs, statistical analysis, or skilled in understanding technical processes, engineering drawings, quantity determinations, and mathematical and financial reports
- Familiar with engineering, procurement, contracts, construction, and Startup work processes and management. Knowledge level is dependent on area of cost control specialization
- Familiar with the concept of Project Codes of Accounts (COA)
- Knowledge of cost/financial reporting systems and analysis (e.g. forecasting, change management, metrics, Quantity Unit Rate Reporting)
- Strong knowledge in project controls software such as EcoSys, Primavera P6, SAP, and Oracle (or Oracle JDE)
- Knowledge in capital cost estimating and services estimating
- Familiar with cash flow development and assessment
- Knowledge of cost control interfaces with project planning and scheduling
- Skilled in oral and written communication
- Works well in a team environment
Please note there is a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy in place. Prospective employees will not be asked to disclose their vaccination status and only successful candidates will be asked to provide proof of vaccination and/or to seek accommodation pursuant to the mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy prior to starting work.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.