Mining Field Engineering - Deputy Area Field Engineer (Structural)
- Leroy, SK S0K 2P0, Canada
- Department: Field Engineering
- Market Segment: Mining, Infrastructure, and Construction
Bantrel is proud to be a leading provider of Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) services in Canada.
Since our inception in 1983, we have delivered end-to-end solutions for some of Canada’s most challenging and complex energy, mining and infrastructure projects, with an unrelenting focus on safety, while delivering to the highest degree of quality. Bantrel performs design and procurement services from our Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto offices and delivers construction management and self perform construction services at various Client sites across Canada.
Our global reach and local touch is demonstrated by our affiliation with our parent company, Bechtel Corporation, one of the largest EPC companies in the world, and with McCaig Investments, a Canadian owned private company with longstanding ties to the local business community.
Hatch and Bantrel have formed the Hatch Bantrel Joint Venture (HBJV) to execute engineering and construction on the BHP Jansen Potash Mine Project in Saskatchewan. After successfully completing the Definition Phase Study for the project, the HBJV is currently carrying out the Detailed Engineering Phase for the Processing, Non-Process Infrastructure (NPI) and Mining Areas of the 4.5 Mtpa Stage 1 Potash Mine. With a published TIC of US $5.3-5.7 Billion, this will represent one of Canada's most significant projects and private investments. The HBJV will use a hybrid of best-in-class new developing technologies and systems as well as the proven HBJV suite of tools to execute this exciting project.
The Deputy Area Field Engineer (DAFE) will work with the Area Field Engineer (AFE) for the mining team and other Mining Field Engineers to perform field inspections and participate in construction walk-downs. They will focus on ensuring the relevant aspects of construction meets the structural design intent. The DAFE shall be the first point of contact to address structural technical queries and non-conformance reports related to the structural design. They will complete walkdowns of the construction as required to fulfill the above requirements and complete surveillance audits of critical structural elements to ensure the design intent is met and/or corrected where needed. They will work mainly within the Integrated Construction Centre (ICC) platforms to issue technical queries, non-conformance reports, and other notices when necessary. The DAFE shall form the link between the Owner (BHP), Engineers of Record (HBJV), and the construction team for all structural engineering-related work. This shall include interpretation of designs and technical & engineering functional standards and seeking validation as required to support the construction team.
* Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance. This will be a camp position on 15 days, 13 days off , or 14 days on 7 days off rotations.
In this full-time permanent role, as a champion of diversity & inclusion, you will:
- Act in place of the AFE when they are not available.
- Facilitate effective communication between design and construction project leadership
- Ensure proper coordination of technical details across the mining engineering team
- Plan and communicate the engineering resources required to support the project
- Monitor and manage the field engineering activities
- Completes mandatory structural inspections for all infrastructure included within the scope; as a minimum, this includes annual headframe inspections
- Conducts shaft inspections and completion of reports as dictated by the Shaft Operations and Maintenance (O&M) manual
- Reviews submittals related to Structural Steel (contractor project execution plan, quality plan, Inspection and Test Plans (ITPs), inspection records)
- Performs field inspection of structural construction work
- Issues quality incident reports
- Manages the following as they pertain to the structural discipline - Technical Queries (TQs), Field Change Notices (FCNs), Field Change Reports (FCRs), Non-Conformance Reports (NCRs)
- Communicates structural design changes and/or field engineering changes with construction and engineering teams
- Ensures they are effectively and efficiently leveraging ICC platforms and systems to submit queries, notices, and reports
- Reviews installed quantities
- Participates in the construction walk-downs and verifies closure of punch items
- Reviews turnover documentation
- Confirms all minimum maintenance and inspection activities are completed for structural components by the Contractor
- Participates in all training as required by BHP
- Participates in the site risk and control ownership as required
- Generates reports as required on Structural engineering deliverables, execution, and turnovers
- Ensures they are adhering to and exhibiting Jansen's core values
- Operates day-to-day, ensuring that activities are prioritized in line with broader objectives
- Ensures that they are managing their time effectively and adhering to deadlines
- A recognized bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or an equivalent combination of education, training, or work experience
- A Professional Engineering license valid in the Province of Saskatchewan is seen as an asset
- Minimum 5-7 years of relevant experience within underground mining, construction, or related industries
- Strong understanding of quality management processes and systems, ISO standards, and auditing processes related to major project delivery or program management
- Great attention to detail, self-motivated, and committed to quality outcomes.
- Ability to operate effectively and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment utilizing agile methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to learn and quickly comprehend new concepts and technologies
- Functional knowledge of industry-leading applicable standards and engineering management practices in a multi-discipline engineering environment, including 3D data-centric platforms
- Working knowledge of engineering, contracts & procurement, construction, commissioning, project controls, health & safety, environment & community, and risk multi-discipline workflows and interactions for large capital projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders, including functional managers and discipline leads on the project, clients, outside vendors, and contractors
- Demonstrated strong troubleshooting, analytical and problem-solving skills, including root cause analysis training
- Ability to foster an inclusive environment for their team while grounding to the Jansen core values
- Ability to communicate effectively across various stakeholder groups
- Motivates themselves and peers to promote and engage in team-building and relationship-building activities
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.