Game Systems Designer
- Montreal, QC, Canada
Based in Montreal, Behaviour Interactive is one of the largest independent game developers in North America. Anchored in the industry for more than 25 years now, its success is characterized by its versatility to create games based on leading brands, but also original IP’s across all major platforms. Behaviour is a Canadian company with an entrepreneurial culture that promotes opportunities and personal development at the same time that giving their employees the feeling of making a difference.
You are the glue that binds it all together. You expand on and systemize the core principles of the game. Your designs are created while staying aware of the technology and the brand in the context of accessible and competitive games. Your goal: produce an outstanding and unforgettable player experience that keeps players excited and viewers engaged. You are also responsible for ensuring that the development team clearly understands the various systems in place and how they impact their respective area of expertise.
The Game Systems Designer reports to the Creative Director. They are expected to receive and address feedback from (among others) the Creative Director, the lead game designer, the producer, product manager and other parts of the studio direction.
- Design, iterate and optimize the various game's systems into a cohesive and accessible whole;
- Provide design vision & documentation relevant to every system in the game;
- Build data structures and game systems, and balance them during the whole life of the game;
- Create & maintain simulation tools for balancing, tuning and adapting the game's variables and playable characters;
- Balance game systems based on internal and player feedback;
- Develop user profiles and play patterns for improved acquisition and retention strategies;
- Tie into the game's economy, plan player progressions, and ensure data consistency of individual progressions through live updates;
- Cooperate with Level Designers to further enhance the player experience;
- Search for and share solutions to address client & community feedback.
- 5+ years of experience with 3+ years as a systems designer in the video game industry;
- Keep abreast of current trends in gameplay and game systems with a strong interest in competitive team games;
- Passionate about games and best practices for games as a service;
- Proficient with Unreal 4.X and Blueprints for scripting and testing purposes;
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel simulations and predictive calculations (analytical competencies and data modelling);
- Able to communicate knowledge and ideas (flowcharts, feature specs, data reports, etc.) to team members;
- Ability to sift through data and come to meaningful conclusions;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal (fluent in English);
- Involved in the pre-production, production and post-production phases of at least 3 published games.
- Experience in an established studio in the gaming industry is a big asset;
- Experience developing on multiple platforms (console, PC, and mobile) a plus;
- Versed in various scripting languages (Lua, Python, Perl, etc.) to help data simulation;
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a relevant field to systems design;
- Experience in data analytics and game telemetry.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.