Economic Game Designer
- Montreal, QC, Canada
Founded in 1992, Montreal-based Behaviour Interactive is one of North America’s largest independent game developers with close to 600 employees and over 70 million games sold on every platform. To date, the company’s games have reached more than 200 million players worldwide. In 2019, its most successful IP, the award-winning Dead by DaylightTM, celebrated 12 million players. Behaviour counts amongst its partners some of the world’s most recognized brands such as Sony, Disney, Netflix, Activision, Warner Bros, Ubisoft, Xbox Game Studios, Google, Bombardier, Wargaming, HBO, NetEase, Gaea, La Capitale, and many more. For more information: bhvr.com.
We are now looking for a talented Economic Game Designer to reinforce our team.
Behaviour Designers are focused on making incredible experiences for millions of players in different genres from all over the world. The Economic Game Designer’s job is to understand how a game works and what drives players, to create helpful simulations to test out theories, and to implement and balance data.
Additionally, Economic Game Designers assist the Live Operations team in “games as a service” by identifying and developing strategies to improve key performance metrics. As Economic Game Designer, you will contribute our game’s design by providing feedback and solutions to develop compelling, long-lasting features.
What will you do?
- Assist in defining the game’s vision and economic strategy during the planning phases;
- Collaborate as a member of the Game Design team by providing feedback and input on depth of features, player motivations, and potential monetization vectors;
- Create and maintain flexible data structures for an ever-evolving F2P market;
- Establish rules and parameters for key economic systems in the game;
- Identify, track, and leverage investment and non-investment resources in a game economy;
- Design, implement, tune, and balance economic game systems and player progression;
- Coordinate with other disciplines, such as Engineers, Data Analysts, and Product Managers, to identify issues and champion solutions;
- Define and implement virtual products (content, segmentation, life cycle);
- Contribute to and create design support documentation as necessary;
- During live operations, continually tune and improve game balance to maximize performance and improve the feel of the game.
- A passion for making and playing F2P games
- 3+ years of game industry experience as a Designer with a strong understanding of game and systems design
- An expert understanding of Excel and other economic tools
- Ability to create, develop and maintain complex economic systems in Excel
- Thorough understanding of game design fundamentals and game theory on how to craft an enjoyable experience and viable economy
- A strong understanding of market trends and monetization strategies
- Analytical thinking with the ability to identify issues ahead of time and come up with solutions
- Creativity to adapt proven concepts and creating new ones
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Post-secondary education in Game Design, Economics, or Mathematics is a plus.
- Understanding of Excel VBA is also a plus
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and we are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and to better games for our users.