Level Designer - Mobile
- Montreal, QC, Canada
Founded in 1992, Montreal-based Behaviour Interactive is one of North America’s largest independent game developers with close to 600 employees and over 70 million games sold on every platform. To date, the company’s games have reached more than 200 million players worldwide. In 2019, its most successful IP, the award-winning Dead by Daylight, celebrated 12 million players. Behaviour counts amongst its partners some of the world’s most recognized brands such as Sony, Disney, Netflix, Activision, Warner Bros, Ubisoft, Xbox Game Studios, Google, Bombardier, Wargaming, HBO, NetEase, Gaea, La Capitale, and many more. For more information: bhvr.com.
Behaviour Interactive is seeking a talented level designer to work on our next wave of successful F2P titles on mobile platforms. As a level designer, you will create a large set of levels for an upcoming action mobile game based on one of the world’s biggest brands. Your levels will exploit and make the best use of all gameplay features, mechanics, characters, and resources at your disposal to provide a consistently fun and challenging experience for players. You will coordinate with the other team disciplines by clearly communicating your intentions and following through the implementation of your work into the game to ensure its quality.
Ideally, you have experience in console or mobile game development, a strong understanding of level composition, gameplay flow and pacing, and a passion for creating fun and exciting experiences.
- Create grey block level layouts, and place enemies, obstacles, props, rewards, and other interactive triggers as first-pass level designs
- Playtest and refine level layouts, and embrace feedback to ensure the desired experience is met
- See through the evolution of your levels as they pass through other disciplines, and ensure the level design intentions are respected towards final delivery
- Establish conventions for level sizes, boundaries, distances, paths, chokepoints, etc.
- Help establish player abilities and enemy difficulty
- Implement scripted story sequences or events in levels when conditions are met
- Provide time estimates as necessary
- Contribute to and create design support documentation as necessary
- Good understanding of tactile mobile gameplay
- ·3+ years of game industry experience as a level designer
- Strong understanding of gameplay flow, pacing, encounter setups
- Ability to write detailed design documents describing the above
- Proficient with Unity Engine and related tools
- Experience with Unity Timeline, Cinemachine is a plus
- Experience with 3D modelling software (Maya, 3DS Max)
- Experience with Unity ProBuilder is a plus
- Experience with visual scripting and sequencing tools a plus
- Ability and willingness to adapt to constant changes
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal in French and/or in English
A portfolio is required with your application.
Joining Behaviour means being part of a company that believes in equity and diversity. We base all employment decisions on merit, qualifications, and competence. We will never discriminate on the grounds of race, national or ethnic origin, health, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or disability.