Lead UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
- Livermore, CA
Our client provides improving human and organizational performance with an emphasis on applying design and technology to learning systems.
Our client has an opening for an experienced Lead UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator to support various programs. Under general direction, the administrator will provide advanced system administration and operational support of various unclassified UNIX systems and high performance UNIX clusters. This person will lead a small team of Unix Administrators to troubleshoot complex system problems and, as necessary, develop complex tools and utilities to automate support processes, or manage tools to automate support processes. This person will assist in system/network planning and will be responsible for working on several projects concurrently. The Lead UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator will interact on a regular basis with application development staff, program management, outside vendors, and customers at all levels. The successful candidate should have excellent customer service skills and be a self-starter. This person will report administratively to the IT Manager.
Due to the vast and varying types of work, the facility is a 24/7 operational facility. This position may require the Lead UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and/or weekends to accomplish goals. This position may also require working alternate schedules such as 4/10's or 12 hour shifts. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
Per our client's contract, the chosen candidate must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals for the position, a drug screen, a background investigation under clearance requirements from the Department of Energy, and the successful candidate must be a US citizen and at least 18 years of age.
- Lead development and production operations, which includes leading a team responsible for administering 700+ virtualized Linux/Solaris-based computer systems and clusters
- Recommend and implement improvements to operational procedures, the operation and efficiency of the computer systems, and managing centralized backups.
- Assign and lead daily task activities of the team and regularly report status to management
- Develop and maintain programs, scripts, tools, and utilities that aid in the operation, automation, and administration of systems, networks, and operational tasks.
- Troubleshoot complex hardware, software, or network-related problems that may involve interfacing with various technical staff having different areas of expertise; work directly with hardware and software vendors to identify and solve product problems.
- Assist developers with configuration management, quality assurance testing, and release of software applications.
- Interact with management to ensure computer security compliance; monitor systems for general health, security incidents, and other events; and develop security configurations that meet cyber requirements.
- Respond to system problems and user questions, providing analysis and solutions as needed.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Providing technical expertise in requirements development, architecture, and design of future IT services.
- Evaluate technologies for infrastructure deployments and upgrades.
- Provide highly advanced technical assistance to the user community.
- Provide 7x24 hour support as a member of the IT on-call support team.
- Combination of 8+ years of technical training and experience related to the skills, knowledge, and abilities listed below.
- Demonstrated experience with project management in a complex enterprise environment.
- Working experience with a Linux distribution, such as Oracle Enterprise Linux, CentOS, RHEL, Debian, etc.
- Working experience with Linux Virtualization Software such as Oracle VM, VMware, Xen or similar virtualization environment
- Experience with installing, configuring, and managing high performance Linux clusters.
- Demonstrated advanced analytical skills necessary to analyze complex systems
- Ability to assume responsibility with minimal instructions and supervision.
- Experience implementing and adhering to security policies.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written skills, and communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively work with other system administrators, application developers, and end-users.
- Experience working in a customer-focused, rapidly changing environment with competing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team. Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.
- Experience with either Oracle Enterprise Manager and/or Oracle VM Manager
- Experience developing advanced complex tools and utilities typically in more than one scripting (such as bash, Python, perl or csh) or graphical user interface.
- Experience supporting or familiarity with open source tools such as fabric, puppet, munin, redmine, mediawik.
- Experience and knowledge of Windows 7, Server 2008, Active Directory, and Mac OSX desktop and server.
- Experience supporting web application products built with Java technologies (Spring, Tomcat, WebLogic, etc).
- Experience installing, managing, and tuning Oracle and/or MySQL databases
- Experience with NFSv4.1.
- Experience with remote boot protocols, including pxeboot, DHCP, bootp and tftp, and distribution based automated installers.
- Working knowledge of enterprise support tools for management, patching, software distribution, or application performance monitoring.
- Knowledge of Cyber security policies and experience implementing cyber security controls.
- Working knowledge of SSL and PKI.
If this sounds like you and you are ready to join a leader in providing integrated training programs and products into institutional, self-development, and unit training programs, we encourage you to apply now. Qualified candidates will be responded to quickly.