English Translator & Minute-Writer (DG-TMC-ES-2020-9-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Do you have experience in drafting and editing high-level documents in English? Can you produce high-quality translations from French to English? If so, we can offer you a great opportunity to place your language skills at the service of a major international organisation, CERN, take part!
CERN is the world's largest particle physics research laboratory and its current scientific programme aims at piercing the secrets of the creation of the Universe.
You can be a part of all this by joining the Translation, Minutes and Council support Group, at the heart of the Director-General's Unit, where you will write minutes in English for the meetings of the CERN Council, the Organization's supreme governing body, and its advisory committees, edit a variety of documents, including the policy documents submitted to the governing bodies for approval, and translate from French into English a wide range of texts, from public outreach material and non-specialist articles for the CERN website to technical specifications, legal contracts, safety procedures and staff rules and regulations. You will also contribute actively to the standardisation of English across the Organization, as well as to the development of the TMC group's computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools. You will receive support and guidance from the senior members of the TMC group in performing all these tasks.
As a translator/minute-writer you will:
- write minutes and summary records for the meetings of CERN's governing bodies;
- edit texts drafted in English by native and non-native writers;
- translate a range of administrative, technical and scientific documents from French into English;
- contribute to standardising the English used across the Organization;
- participate in the development of CERN's computer-assisted translation tools.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of translation or a related field.
- Solid experience as an English-language translator (from French into English), minute/précis-writer or editor.
- Perfect mastery of English and excellent drafting skills, plus an in-depth knowledge of French as the source language for translations.
- Experience in the management and use of computer-assisted translation tools would also be an advantage.
- Minute-writing in English.
- Document editing in English.
- Translation from French into English.
- Proficiency in the use of computer-assisted translation tools.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- A perfect mastery of English and a deep knowledge of French as the source language for translations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 19.04.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: DG-TMC-ES-2020-9-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Translator
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further