Full-Stack Web Developer (TE-EPC-CCS-2020-65-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you a talented software engineer, passionate about Full-Stack Web development projects? Do you have in-depth experience with Web, python and database frameworks? Are you comfortable in a collaborative development environment using git, Linux and continuous integration techniques? Then join the Electrical Power Converter group for a unique challenge as the next step in your career. CERN, take part!
You will join the TE Department, the Electrical Power Converter Group (TE-EPC), responsible for the power converters for the whole CERN accelerator complex, and the Converter Controls Software Section, which develops and supports the power converters control software.
The section is responsible for a large distributed control system for more than five thousand power converters and a dozen static VAR compensators. These range in power from a few Watts to 150MW and are used to drive current through the magnets in the accelerators, transfer lines and experiments. The magnets guide and focus the particle beams, so precise control of the currents is critical.
As a software engineer in the CCS Section, you will be responsible for the converter controls expert applications (Web UI, python back-end, Oracle or Postgres DB). These are used by the power converter experts at CERN and other labs that use CERN converter controls.
- Support and extend the existing expert applications developed by the section.
- Supervise junior software engineers working on the same project.
- Identify requirements for new expert applications in collaboration with the power converter experts and prepare written specifications.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and support the new expert applications.
- Analyse existing, complex labour-intensive workflows and create automated solutions with well-designed, intuitive user interfaces.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science and/or software engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with popular frontend and backend frameworks.
- Demonstrated experience with Object-Oriented Programming, Class design, Design and implementation based on UML Charts and Software Design Patterns.
- Demonstrated experience designing relational database schemas.
- Demonstrated experience working with modern software development tools, in particular, source code management, continuous integration, issue tracking and documentation.
- Initial experience developing user interface applications in python.
- Knowledge of Perl will be an advantage.
- Development of application software: full-Stack development of Web applications with Python back-end.
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces: developing Web and python application front ends / interfaces.
- Design of databases/repositories.
- Knowledge of operating systems: Linux. Familiarity with virtual machines will be an advantage.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements Identifying; defining and assessing problems; taking action to address them.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; being receptive to others' ideas and building on them.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; listening actively to others and letting others speak.
Spoken and written English: the ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations. The ability to understand and speak French or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.05.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-EPC-CCS-2020-65-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further