Project Engineer (cooling and ventilation systems) (EN-CV-PJ-2020-120-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you a qualified mechanical engineer, specialised in industrial cooling and ventilation installations? Contribute your skill and experience to the design and construction of highly complex large cooling and ventilation plants in a unique environment hosting some of the world’s most complex technical installations. Join CERN’s Cooling and Ventilation Project team. Take part!
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the cooling and ventilation (CV) group of the EN department, you will join the PJ Section (Projects), which is in charge of coordination and management of cooling and ventilation projects for installation of new systems, upgrade of existing systems and consolidation of old systems both for CERN accelerators and experiments.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will take a leading role in the design and construction of HVAC and cooling systems within the context of PJ Section projects.
- Discuss requirements with the main stakeholders in order to optimise the users requirements in terms of feasibility and cost;
- Perform feasibility studies or detailed designs of HVAC and/or cooling systems including sizing and cost estimates for the proposed solutions;
- Write up technical reports and notes;
- Draw up technical specifications and all relevant documents that will be used to adjudicate the work to external contractors;
- Manage contract tendering and adjudication processes related to the projects you are responsible for;
- Follow up and regularly report on project's progress issues;
- Ensure technical coordination and supervision of contractors to keep under control quality, cost and schedule up to the commissioning and formal acceptance of the systems; address non-conformities;
- Support the colleagues in charge of the operation in the troubleshooting and process improvement of existing plants;
- Actively contribute to the development and improvement of the internal procedures, internal technical prescriptions, and standardisation of the technical solutions.
- Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering, or a related field.
- Certification in project management would be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, construction and test of large-size ventilation installations and their related hydraulic components and/or large size industrial cooling including experience in selecting related equipment and instrumentation;
- Proven experience in contract management;
- Demonstrated experience in project management;
- Experience in design, construction and test of ventilation systems for chemical plants and/or nuclear installations would be an asset.
The following experience would be definite assets:
- Experience with quality management;
- Experience with low voltage network and switchboards.
- Design and construction of cooling water systems: (raw, demineralized and chilled water) including test of plants and their associated equipment;
- Design and construction of HVAC plants and networks, including test of plant and associated equipment;
- Design, construction, operation and maintenance of compressed air systems
- Water cooling process design and analysis as well as HVAC process;
- Project management.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented;
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting;
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical specifications in English and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages; an undertaking to acquire the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.11.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-CV-PJ-2020-120-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer