Computing Technician (IT-CF-DCO-2021-4-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Take an active role in the IT department at CERN as Data Centre Operations’ technician! This is a unique opportunity to work in one of the largest data centres for scientific computing in the Europe. CERN, take part!
CERN operates a large (3.8MW) data centre, and has a project to build another larger (4-12MW) facility underway, where you will be working on supporting CERN’s administrative and scientific computing, including the recording and processing of data from the physics experiments.
More information on IT the department is at: http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/.
The successful candidate will work as part of the Operations team whose primary responsibility is the planning and coordination of the data centre infrastructure. The main activities are:
- Supervise the 24/7 console operator contractor, provide and review operator procedures, and report performance at the monthly contract meeting.
- Participate in the infrastructure (electrical, cooling, rack-space, floor-space) capacity planning of the computing rooms.
- Prepare and coordinate the commissioning, decommissioning and moves of large batches of IT equipment (servers, storage, network devices) in the computing rooms.
- Liaise with CERN engineering and technical departments for the infrastructure of the computing rooms.
- Develop and maintain procedures and tools for assuring an up-to-date inventory of deployed assets.
- Manage access control requests to the computing rooms.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computing or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the operations of system or network administration of a large data centre.
- Experience with the technical infrastructure of a data centre, with organisation and supervision of the work of contractors and with capacity planning.
- Basic knowledge and experience in electrical distribution or in cooling and ventilation or in mechanics would be a strong asset.
- Installation, operation and maintenance (preventive and corrective) of computing systems.
- Knowledge and deployment of computing hardware: in data centres.
- Organisation, planning and control: of data centre infrastructure.
- Use of office software packages: or similar tools.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations taking appropriate corrective actions and adapting work / project plans if necessary.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.02.2021 at 12:00 PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving license is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: IT-CF-DCO-2021-4-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Technician