Mechanical assembly and test technician (SY-RF-MKS-2022-56-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you an enthusiastic mechanical technician looking to acquire experience in a clean room environment, working on cutting edge superconducting RF problems? Take Part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
The MKS section works on the RF power generation necessary to feed on the particle accelerators at CERN. We also design, manufacture and tests the high-gradient accelerating structures out of copper with mechanical tolerances on the micron level. As pioneers in this technology, we counsel and assist other laboratories around the world through the change of information and procedures.
As a Mechanical assembly and test technician, you will:
- Assemble, disassemble, install, test, troubleshoot, rework, repair, and modify mechanical assemblies, subassemblies, components, and whole RF systems.
- Follow manufacturing planning, blueprints, schematics, process specifications, engineering sketches, and written and oral instructions.
- Define the assembly procedures and design the required tooling.
- Perform quality checks, adjustments and precise calibrations including metrology and leak testing.
- Prepare the relevant documentation.
- Carrying out or supervising the installation of mechanical components, including their alignment and leak test.
- Carrying out or planning organising and directing the operation and maintenance of auxiliary systems like water cooling, cryocoolers, and ultra-high vacuum primary and secondary pumps.
Technical certificate or general secondary education or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the assembly of complicated mechanical pieces working at Ultra-high vacuum.
- Experience drafting and interpreting mechanical drawings with ISO standards.
- Experience in industrial and laboratory maintenance.
- Experience working on hazardous environment (mechanical, electrical, radiation) would be an asset.
- Knowledge and application of joining techniques: brazing and soldering, in particular, proper preparation of copper-copper or copper-stainless steel joints.
- Manufacturing of mechanical parts.
- Knowledge and application of conventional dimensional metrology.
- Knowledge and application of leak detection techniques and equipment.
- Assembly and integration of mechanical structures and equipment.
- Managing self: handling uncertainty and ambiguity calmly and effectively; working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Communicating effectively: giving praise and providing honest and constructive feedback; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Demonstrating flexibility: actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
- Knowledge of French woudl be an asset, or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12:00 CET 13.06.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: SY-RF-MKS-2022-56-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician