Administrative Assistant (BE-CSS-2022-158-LD)
Great science needs great people! Are you a tech savvy, service-oriented administrative assistant with excellent organizational skills? Join CERN’s Controls Software & Services group, become a valued member of the management team, and provide an administrative assistance service essential to the running of the group. Take part!
You will join the Beams Department, which provides CERN with the unique competencies required for the conception, design, survey, alignment, control, and operation of CERN’s particle accelerator complex.
You will be working within the Controls Software & Services group (CSS), which provides a large user community with the remote controls required for the various installations. This diverse group is comprised of up to 80 members, from 21 nationalities, including students, recent graduates, and experienced professionals.
You will participate in the daily management of the BE-CSS group secretariat with special emphasis on information, communication, and organizational services. Applying relevant CERN rules and procedures, your activities will include:
- Providing front-office service for all categories of group personnel upon arrival, departure and throughout their appointment, helping ensure the application of the Organization’s rules and procedures;
- Contributing to the BE-CSS Management team activities in terms of organising and participating in regular meetings, taking minutes, and maintaining supporting action lists;
- Providing personal assistance to the Group Leader (agenda and mailbox management, providing administrative support such as replying on his behalf, collecting and pre-analysing information, following-up actions, and organising meetings);
- Processing information in the form of e-mails, letters, procedures, presentations;
- Organising official duty trips and events (conferences, workshops, etc.);
- Contributing to the content management of the group’s website;
- Selecting and supervising an administrative student when needed;
- Contributing to the groups outreach activities.
Higher administrative diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of general administration or a related field.
Proven experience in the following:
- Working successfully independently and as a contributing member of a team.
- First line administrative support for a large community of customers.
- Personal assistance to a manager.
- Customer service.
- Knowledge of administrative rules and procedures.
- Event organisation and management.
- Archiving and records management.
- Use of office software packages, in particular the use of MS Office and a CMS for website edition.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind. Delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises. Maintaining confidentiality.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information. Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects. Adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements. Actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies.
Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and communicate in both languages in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than midnight CET 8th January 2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: BE-CSS-2022-158-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Personal/Team Assistant