(GMS) SCADA Engineer
- TX, TX
“CPS Energy is the Largest Municipally Owned Energy Company in the Nation Providing Both Gas and Electricity to San Antonio and surrounding communities. For over 80 years CPS Energy employees have provided for the energy needs of over 600,000 industrial, commercial and residential customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area. We have a strong history of industry leading, financial performance, customer satisfaction, and participation in economic development, and community involvement.
Thanks to our status as a community-owned, not-for-profit energy utility and our diversified mix of fuels, we are able to provide our customers with reliable and more affordable energy services than many other companies.
We also offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with excellent career opportunities for both professional and personal growth.
Presently, CPS Energy is hiring for a Compensation Manager position.
See how CPS Energy can ~ work for you! “
The Compensation Manager provides leadership and management for the Compensation Department. Designs and develops compensation strategies, plans, programs and practices consistent with organizational goals. Develops systems, processes, policies, procedures and guidelines to ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws.
Maintains and enhances SCADA systems as required to support real time operations.
• Performs system administration duties on Microsoft Windows and/or UNIX OS Servers with various software applications.
• Maintains knowledge and acceptance of required regulatory standards pertaining to that type of SCADA system such as, but not limited to, NERC CIP, ERCOT, etc.
• Evaluates system(s) performance to ensure reliability and availability.
• Troubleshoots system operation and provides timely resolution to system issues including under occasional high stress situations.
• Consistently demonstrates and maintains a high level of accuracy/accountability including under occasional high stress situations.
• Works in an environment where a mistake could cause death, injury, bad publicity, regulatory fines, etc.
• Works in a Change Control Management environment.
• Assists users in resolving system application issues and maintenance concerns.
• Installs and configures support for application patches and operating system updates.
• Documents performance, processes, changes and status of systems to ensure reliable and secure operation.
• Develops and implements application software improvements, database changes and interface updates in compliance with corporate, state and federal regulations.
• Ensures system security is maintained in compliance with corporate, state and federal regulations.
• Provide complete and accurate data to other systems and users.
• May perform contract administration and project management.
• Develops and conducts training classes when necessary.
• Maintains current knowledge of industry trends and technologies.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited university
• A minimum of three (3) years experience in supporting a ABB Network Manager GMS System or similar GMS system and providing technical solutions
• Experience in using DNP3 RTU communications protocol
• Ability to program, troubleshoot and test RTU modem connections and telemetry in the ABB SCADA system
• Ability to research, recommend, and implement changes/improvements/additions to systems in order to adapt to plant system changes and a dynamic business environment;
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Excellent technical and communications (writing and verbal) skills
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment, including communication and coordination with operators/controllers, technical support staff and the business end users.
• Ability to work extended hours, weekends and holidays to support projects and “24/7” real-time systems and users including frequent on-call duty
• Ability to consistently demonstrate and maintain a high level of accuracy/accountability including under occasional pressure situations
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to attend courses, seminars, conferences, training sessions, etc., to continually improve his/her skills and knowledge
• Detailed oriented with advanced organizational and multitasking skills.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Texas driver’s license; a history of a safe driving record in accordance with CPS policies, procedures, safety standards, and applicable laws and regulations.
• Able to pass NERC CIP required Background Check
• Ability to lift 25 lbs
• Currently registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Texas
• Familiar with ERCOT Operating Protocols, and real time communications
• Proficient in Windows Server administration
• OSISoft PI historian system administration
• HP-UX or Unix derivative system administration
• Familiarity with NERC CIP standards
• SAP experience
• Proficiency with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office products (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project)
• Experience in managing multiple projects.
Employees must exhibit and adhere to all of our CPS Energy Core Behavioral Principles.
The “Engineering Associate / Engineer Program”
This program is designed to stay in line with the Texas Engineering Practice Act (TEPA), also to ensure that CPS Energy continues to attract, retain, and motivate our Engineering staff as well as continue to provide career and salary growth opportunities.
•Our program details define the level of experience and required certifications/licenses to proceed
to next level. Candidates will be brought in based on their years of experience, and in line with Engineering Associate/Engineer program including meeting any
and all required licenses.
•All candidates will be designated as “Engineer in Training or (EIT)” Engineering Associate 1, 2.
A Texas P.E. license will be required for progression to the Engineer level and Senior Engineer.
At the Engineer level, as designated for Engineers and Senior Engineers, all employees will be required to sign and seal engineering work, as each job requires.
•All candidates will be reviewed and considered for all levels when applying for any Engineer positions. Candidates must meet the minimum requirements in order to be considered qualified per the requirements of each level as defined below.
Engineer Associate 1
•Bachelors degree in Engineering in an Engineering field from an ABET accredited four year college or university.
•Minimum 1 year engineering experience
Engineer Associate 2
•Level I Requirements above
•Engineer in Training (EIT) designation from Texas Board of Professional Engineers
•Level I & Level II requirements above
•Minimum 4 years engineering experience.
•A Texas Professional Engineer (P.E.)
•Level I, II, III requirements above
•Minimum 7+ years engineering experience.
•As required, deemed fully effective in ability to sign and seal his/her own engineering work by staff oversight.