Principal Engineer - Optical Technologies
- Boulder, CO
This position can be based either in Sunnyvale, CA or Boulder, CO.
Tomorrow’s cable industry will look nothing like it does today. The world is rapidly changing with broadband moving way beyond traditional screens and devices. To keep pace with consumer demand for fully personalized content when, where and how they want it, cable must constantly exceed those demands. In fact, it must invent desire for new products long before the public even knows it can’t live without them… breakthroughs await in IP-centric technologies, smart sensors, second-screen content and more.
As CableLabs envisions the future of digital life outside the box, we pioneer and test new ideas, then collaborate to bring them to life - we drive the delivery of new technology for cable operators, validate standards for manufacturers and connect with new partners to transform the status quo. By developing technology that will carry data even faster, we serve as the catalyst for quicker innovation and richer experiences. CableLabs is at the vanguard of this revolution fueling cable's new drive with creativity and innovation. Join us in inspiring what’s next for Cable!
Join our Optical Technologies team, part of our Network Technologies group - a team of highly qualified, dedicated individuals who take pride in designing and introducing new optical networking solutions and shepherding the cable industry toward fiber networks of the future. This individual w ill also work closely with our Cable Operator representatives (senior staff, executives, engineers) and technology partners. We are seeking someone with an innovative and rapid execution mindset capable of delivering innovative new concepts, designs, tests, and strategic initiatives for cable operator clients, as well as participating in work conducted by other industry bodies.
CableLabs is seeking a technologist with proven expertise in fiber optics, optical networking systems (EPON, GPON, RFoG), IP and Ethernet, who is passionate about developing access networks of the future for both FTTH and FTTB. You will collaborate with CableLabs and technology supplier partner engineers as an SME developing new technologies and will interact with optical experts at CableLabs’ client companies, leading specification development activities, and creating innovative solutions for next generation optical networks. You will work as an individual contributor and technical collaborator leading research and strategic efforts across cross-functional internal and external teams.
- MS, Ph.D. or equivalent experience in EE or closely related field, plus 7-10 years’ experience in fiber optics, optical networking, optical and RF modulation, DWDM and data networking architectures.
- Experience with physical layer optical transmission and reception.
- System knowledge of one or more access network technologies such as EPON, GPON, and point to point Ethernet.
- Experience with optical test equipment such as optical power meters, fusion splicers, optical spectrometers, and OTDR equipment.
- Networking protocol knowledge (TCP/IP, SNMP, Ethernet, routers/bridges/hubs).
- Experience with FTTH solutions is highly desired.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the specific ability to speak to various technical and management levels.
- Proactive, collaborative and creative approach to innovation, technical development and consensus facilitation to influence optimal project results.
- Excellent time and task management, and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to travel 20%.
This is a full time, salaried career position with an exceptional team, benefits and the ability to impact an industry!