Senior Engineer - Optical Technologies
- Louisville, CO
This position can reside in either Sunnyvale, CA or Louisville, CO.
Tomorrow’s cable industry will look nothing like it does today. The world is rapidly changing with broadband moving way beyond traditional screens and devices. To keep pace with consumer demand for fully personalized content when, where and how they want it, cable must constantly exceed those demands. In fact, it must invent desire for new products long before the public even knows it can’t live without them… breakthroughs await in IP-centric technologies, smart sensors, second-screen content and more.
As CableLabs envisions the future of digital life outside the box, we pioneer and test new ideas, then collaborate to bring them to life - we drive the delivery of new technology for cable operators, validate standards for manufacturers and connect with new partners to transform the status quo. By developing technology that will carry data even faster, we serve as the catalyst for quicker innovation and richer experiences. CableLabs is at the vanguard of this revolution fueling cable's new drive with creativity and innovation. Join us in inspiring what’s next for Cable!
Be part of our Optical Technologies team, a group of highly qualified, dedicated individuals who take pride in designing and introducing new optical networking solutions while shepherding the cable industry toward fiber networks of the future. You will work closely with our cable operators (senior staff, executives, engineers) and technology partners bringing an innovative mindset capable of delivering innovative new concepts, designs, tests, and strategic initiatives for cable clients including participation in work conducted by other industry bodies.
We are seeking a technologist with proven expertise in access network technologies such as EPON, GPON, or RFoG, coupled with excellent knowledge of IP and Ethernet protocols, who is passionate about developing access networks of the future for fiber to the premise. You will collaborate with other engineers as a subject matter expert, interacting with experts in the cable community, leading specification development activities, and creating innovative solutions for access networks. You will work as an individual contributor and technical collaborator participating in innovation and strategic initiatives for transition to FTTH for cable networks.
- BS or equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering, computer networking, or closely related field, plus 3-5 years of experience in FTTH technologies.
- Excellent system knowledge of one or more access network technologies such as EPON, GPON, and point to point Ethernet.
- Knowledge of Ethernet and Ethernet switching.
- Operations and/or network architecture and design experience for fiber networks.
- Experience with optical test equipment such as optical power meters, fusion splicers, optical spectrometers, and OTDR equipment is desired.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to speak to various technical and management audiences.
- Proactive, collaborative and creative approach to innovation, technical development and consensus facilitation to influence optimal project results.
- Excellent time and task management, and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to travel 10-15%.
This is a full time, salaried career position with an exceptional team, benefits and the ability to impact an industry!