Registered Dental Assistant
- Memphis, TN
Christ Community Health Services has focused on fulfilling the physical, spiritual and emotional needs of the poor, the uninsured and the homeless in Memphis since 1995. Through our strategically placed health care centers and outreach programs, we provide high-quality health care and other services to thousands of patients, caregivers, students and families each year. Our goal is to go where the need is greatest to provide quality services in the name of Jesus Christ.
The Dental Assistant provides chair-side assistance to a licensed dentist and also performs other clerical duties to support the Clinic.
Position Available: Registered Dental Assistant (Full-time) Posting Period: 4/30 - 5/8/2013 or untill filled
Location: Broad Dental Pay Range: $12.23 - $17.13 hourly
Reports to: Office Manager FLSA: Nonexempt
- Retracts patient’s cheek, tongue and other tissue; removes water syringes.
- Takes, exposes, and develops x-rays of the mouth, gums, jaws, and/or teeth.
- Applies topical medications; places rubber dams in patient’s mouth; removes excess cement from and adjacent to crowns, bridges, and orthodontic bands; places matrix bands; removes and replaces ligature wires; removes sutures.
- Performs dietary and salivary analysis and infection control procedures.
- Demonstrates oral care procedures and techniques; charts patient’s mouth.
- Flushes evacuation system with chemical cleaners.
- Completes reports and maintains records
- Schedules recalls and appointments.
- Facilitates completion of registration forms.
- Verifies insurance and PCP selection, if applicable.
- Completes Daily Activity Reports at the end of the business day.
- Orders supplies and equipment and keeps accurate inventory; orders repairs on dental equipment; researches prices and equipment specifications.
- May perform other duties as required.
- Practices coronal polishing; mechanically polishes restorations.
- Places and removes temporary restorations.
- Monitors patient while nitrous oxide is being administered.
- Applies pit and fissure sealants.
Education: High school diploma plus Registered Dental Assistant Program along with Expanded Functions education.
Experience: One to two years experience performing fundamental and expanded duties of a certified dental assistant as outlined by the Tennessee State Board of Dentistry; experience completing dental radiographs and alginate impressions; and experience performing clerical duties associated with a dental office.
Licenses or Certifications: Certified to practice as an expanded function Dental Assistant as stipulated by the Laws and Administrative Rules of the Tennessee State Board of Dentistry. CPR Certification is required.
Level 1 – Requires some concentration and normal attention. Generally, once the job is learned, the tasks can be performed more or less automatically.
X Level 2 – Requires high periods of concentration intermittently and normal attention. Generally, even once the job is learned, tasks will require normal attention to deal with recurring variables.
_ Level 3 – Requires a high level of concentration and high level of attention intermittently. Generally, the approach to tasks may be consistent, but the number of steps required and/or the number of variables involved creates the possibility of errors unless the incumbent pays close attention.
Approximate percentage of time spent lifting, pulliing and/or pushing: 15%
Maximum number of pounds required (with or without assistance): 30 pounds
Types of objects the incumbent is required is lift/pull/push. Patients in wheelchairs, boxes of supplies, moving the patient chair.
Machines, Equipment, Tools Approximate % of Time Degree of Hand:Eye Coordination Required
- Dental Chairs 50% High
2. Dental x-ray machine 50% High
3. Computers 50% High
4. Dental instruments 50% High
5. Autoclave 50% High
6. Processor 50% High
Approximate percentage of time incumbent spends in "on-the-job" travel, excluding commuting to regular work location: 25% travel between various work sites
Exposure to fumes from chemicals (developer, fixer); intense light under the dental light; exposure to varying weather conditions when traveling between worksites; exposure to contagious and infectious disease; possible burns from the autoclave.