Licensed Practical Nurse, LPN
- Memphis, TN
Christ Community Health Services has focused on fulfilling the physical, spiritual and emotional needs of the poor, the uninsured and the homeless in Memphis since 1995. Through our strategically placed health care centers and outreach programs, we provide high-quality health care and other services to thousands of patients, caregivers, students and families each year. Our goal is to go where the need is greatest to provide quality services in the name of Jesus Christ.
Position Available: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Posting Period: 06/21 -- 07/01/2013 or until filled Location: Hickory Hill Pay Range: $15.07 - $21.10
Reports to: Nurse Coordinator FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Specific Functions of Job:
- Assists with initiation of medical history and physical assessment. Draws blood and collects other specimens for lab analysis. Prepares for and assists with medical procedures such as GYN exams, wound care, etc.
- Reviews medical records to ensure completeness prior to patient exam, obtaining missing documentation lab reports and consultation results. Documents clinic visits, observations and related activities. Prepares and maintains required reports, records and files.
- Provides telephone triage and initiates follow-up calls directed by the physician or nurse coordinator. Refers disposition to supervisor and documents in medical record the results of phone call.
- Assists with the scheduling and referral of patients for specific treatments, procedures, home health services and hospital admissions, as needed.
- Educates patients and families within the scope of knowledge base; provides information materials as appropriate. Assists with staff education and supervision such as preceptorship.
- Responds to inquiries, communicating policies, procedures and standards to patients, families, visitors and fellow employees.
- Cleans exam and treatment rooms following patient discharge, appropriately disposing of trash to provide a clean environment; wipes up spills and sanitizes area, as needed.
- Maintains adequate level of supplies, medications, linens and equipment, requisitioning additional supplies, as needed.
- Ensures patient care equipment is clean and properly functioning, reporting defective equipment and supplies to supervisor.
- Assists with quality environment activities as directed.
- May perform other duties as required.
JOBS THIS POSITION DIRECTLY SUPERVISES
Depending upon work site, the LPN may supervise one or more of the following jobs.
Job Title Number of Incumbents
Certified Medical Assistant Varies
Phone nurse 1
Education: High school diploma plus specialized training.
Experience: Minimum of one year nursing experience.
Licenses or Certifications: LPN, RN, paramedic with TN license. BCLS certified.
Level 1 – Requires some concentration and normal attention. Generally, once the job is learned, the tasks can be performed more or less automatically.
Level 2 – Requires high periods of concentration intermittently and normal attention. Generally, even once the job is learned, tasks will require normal attention to deal with recurring variables.
X Level 3 – Requires a high level of concentration and high level of attention intermittently. Generally, the approach to tasks may be consistent, but the number of steps required and/or the number of variables involved creates the possibility of errors unless the incumbent pays close attention.
Activity Approximate % of Time Comments
Sitting 20% Average depending on work site
Standing 20% Average depending on work site
Walking 60% Average depending on work sitE
Approximate percentage of time spent lifting, pulling and/or pushing: 30% (average)
Maximum number of pounds required (with or without assistance): 75 – 100 lbs.
Types of objects the incumbent is required to lift/pull/push: Patients, charts, files, supplies
Machines and Equipment Used:
Machines, Equipment, Tools Approximate % of Time Degree of Hand:Eye
- Computer Varies Normal
2. Telephone Varies Normal
3. Photocopier, fax machine Varies Normal
4. Needle, syringe Varies High
5. Various pieces of medical equipment Varies Normal to High
Approximate percentage of time incumbent spends in “on-the-job” travel, excluding commuting to regular work location: From no travel to regular travel between work sites.
Medical clinic setting with ongoing exposure to contagious individuals and infectious disease; requires universal precautions. Some exposure to varying weather conditions when traveling between work locations.