Junior Gameplay Engineer
- Eaton Place, Fairfax, VA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
City State Entertainment is an independent video game development studio founded in March 2011, in Fairfax, Virginia, by online gaming pioneer Mark Jacobs and engineer extraordinaire, Andrew Meggs. Several years later, our Seattle studio was founded and is run by another extraordinary engineer, George Davison. The studio embodies an “open office” collaborative process where all team members are expected to contribute to the design and the development process. The team has built a next-generation engine tentatively titled the "Unchained Engine" which is powering their two games in development - Camelot Unchained, a niche RvR old-school MMORPG (currently in Beta) and Final Stand: Ragnarok, a PvE looter-slasher in which teams of any size fight against hordes of NPCs (currently in very Early Access on Steam).
City State Entertainment is looking for a Junior Gameplay Engineer to help create Camelot Unchained at its Fairfax, Virginia office. You’ll work primarily within our server code to implement features from combat to crafting to guilds. You can also expect to make forays into client code to expose those features to the user, although you can leave the hardcore engine development and final UI polish to others.
- Fluency in C++, C#, or Java
- Avid and thoughtful gamer, especially of MMORPGs
- Strong data structures and algorithm skills
- Broad general understanding of game systems such as combat, physics, and pathfinding
- Knowledge of network programming considerations
- Experience with both C++ and C#
- Strong 3D math skills (linear algebra, calculus, trigonometry)
- Prior experience creating client/server systems
- Experience with metrics and analytics, especially in games
- Understanding of distributed systems
- Mastery of threading and concurrency
- Prior experience and expertise in a specific specialty such as AI, physics, or combat
- Prior shipped titles in the game industry
- 1-3+ years (depending on experience) of game development, preferably in the MMORPG space
- Experience with MongoDB or other document-oriented data stores
- Degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience with functional programming (LISP, OCaml, Haskell, etc.)
Note: City State Entertainment is hiring for a broad range of positions on a growing team. We have definite skill and task needs, but the eventual division of tasks within the team will depend on the eventual team members. If you’re an outstanding and talented individual whose qualifications fall halfway between two of our listings, we’d still like to hear from you. All candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. While we prefer candidates who can work on-site at either of our Washington DC/Seattle area offices in the U.S.A. Due to COVID-19, all employees are currently working remotely for the time being. Candidates who are hired as "remote only" team members will not ever be required to relocate to either area. We are an emphatically equal-opportunity employer.