Gameplay Engineers (Mid-level)
City State Entertainment is an independent video game development studio founded in March 2011, in Fairfax, Virginia, by online gaming pioneer Mark Jacobs and accomplished programmer, Andrew Meggs. Over the last few years, the studio has grown to 25 hard-working, sarcastic and politically incorrect individuals. In October 2012, they released their first game, March on Oz, for Apple's iPad. The studio embodies an “open office” collaborative process where all team members are expected to contribute to the design and the development process. The team is currently in pre-production of their second game, Camelot Unchained (working title) a niche RvR old-school MMORPG.
City State Entertainment is looking for two Mid-level Gameplay Engineers to help create Camelot Unchained at either its Fairfax, Virginia main office, or our Seattle, Washington satellite office. You’ll work primarily within our server code to implement features from combat to crafting to guilds. You can also expect to make forays into client code to expose those features to the user, although you can leave the hardcore engine development and final UI polish to others.
- Fluency in C++, C#, or Java
- Avid and thoughtful gamer, especially of MMORPGs
- Strong data structures and algorithm skills
- Broad general understanding of game systems such as combat, physics, and pathfinding
- Knowledge of network programming considerations
- Experience with both C++ and C#
- Strong 3D math skills (linear algebra, calculus, trigonometry)
- Prior experience creating client/server systems
- Experience with metrics and analytics, especially in games
- Understanding of distributed systems
- Mastery of threading and concurrency
- Prior experience and expertise in a specific specialty such as AI, physics, or combat
- Prior shipped titles in the game industry
- 5-7+ years (depending on experience) of game development, preferably in the MMORPG space
- Experience with MongoDB or other document-oriented data stores
- Degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience with functional programming (LISP, OCaml, Haskell, etc.)
Note: City State Entertainment is hiring for a broad range of positions on a growing team. We have definite skill and task needs, but the eventual division of tasks within the team will depend on the eventual team members. If you’re an outstanding and talented individual whose qualifications fall halfway between two of our listings, we’d still like to hear from you. All candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to work on-site either at our Washington DC-area office, or in Seattle, Washington, in the U.S.A. We are an emphatically equal-opportunity employer.