Public Relations Coordinator
- Toronto, Canada
The City Youth Council of Toronto (CYCToronto) is a chapter of the City Youth Councils of Canada, an organization focused on empowering youth to influence public policy, facilitate in community development, and learn more about the municipal government through participation. The CYC helps youth develop a greater sense of purpose and responsibility, informs them about what is happening in their city, and promotes the valuable contributions they make to the vitality of their communities.
CYCToronto is seeking PUBLIC RELATIONS COORDINATORS to join our team. This volunteer position is ideal for a secondary or post-secondary student who is interested in public policy, government relations, media relations, youth advocacy, and who is seeking to be a fundamental asset to the development of a local, youth-focused, not-for-profit organization. Ideally, the candidate has a keen interest in advocacy and has some experience and knowledge in liaising with decision-makers and the media. A minimum one-year commitment is required. This position will require a minimum of 5 hours on a weekly basis.
- Creating specific strategies, templates, and materials for raising the profile of CYCToronto.
- Developing and maintaining a strong relationship with City Councillors and their offices and communicating regularly the objectives, progress, and policy positions of the Youth Council.
- Work with fellow team members to plan and execute strategies designed to pressure City Councillors and effectively advocate the policy positions as adopted by the Youth Council.
- Maintaining regular communication with the Manager of Public Relations, attending weekly team meetings, and submitting a monthly report every month.
- Assisting with the research, writing and distribution of the flow of information targeted at the media.
- Working to further the influence and credibility of CYCToronto within a variety of media outlets.
- Identifying, targeting, establishing, and maintaining relationships with journalists/reporters.
- Training Youth Councillors/Ambassadors for media interviews to maximize each opportunity with media coverage.
- MUST be between 16 and 35 years of age.
- MUST reside in the City of Toronto.
- Good organizational, verbal, and written communication skills are essential.
- Desire to work in a developing, youth-driven organization.
- Self-motivated, solution-focused, and ability to work with minimal direction.
- Ability to think logically and consistently, plan, coordinate, commit to improving the work environment, and organize a heavy workload.
- Ability to recognize and maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- High degree of professionalism, tact, patience, discretion and good judgment
This is a volunteer position.