Business Development Manager
- Philadelphia, PA
With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all of our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The mission of the Department of Commerce is to ensure that Philadelphia is a globally competitive city to which employers flocks, entrepreneurs thrive and innovation abounds; to recruit and retain a diverse set of businesses; to foster economic opportunities for all Philadelphians in all neighborhoods; and to partner with workforce development programs and local businesses on talent development ensuring that all Philadelphians can find and retain living-wage jobs.
The Manager for Business Development is a support role within the Philadelphia Department of Commerce applying strategic planning, analysis and project management to various assignments with oversight from the Senior Director of Business Development.
The salary for this position is $55,000
The Manager for Business Development should possess a broad skill set in areas of economic development, research, public policy and should possess specific knowledge in Life Sciences or Technology start up sector.
Specific Duties, depending on sector focus, may include the following:
- Managing a pipeline of new business attraction/retention leads, focusing on expansion into the Philadelphia market.
- Provide research on company activities as part of a sector-based effort to attract and retain key businesses within the city. Responsibilities will include preparation of presentations to targeted businesses and maintaining current information in the Department’s Client “Quickbase” Database “Quickbase” for accuracy and report generation.
- Supporting Business Development Unit on high profile attraction/retention projects based on evaluation of “Best Practices” from other comparable economic development organizations to identify Philadelphia’s competitive strengths. These activities will require ongoing research and presentation capabilities.
- Develop strategy to attract/retain Life Science investment through business research, targeted opportunities and partnerships throughout the Philadelphia region for market investment.
- Supporting the StartUpPHL program, the platform for supporting entrepreneurship and startup activity. Focus will be on driving marketing initiatives and engaging partners within the innovation ecosystem to promote and support existing/emerging entrepreneurs within the tech industry.
- Research prospects to determine suitable opportunities for the Philadelphia market.
- Lead calls and appointment setting
- Meet with clients to review ideas and concepts for business development
- Work closely with government officials and economic development partners at local/state/federal levels to secure resources/information appropriate to each business client.
- Monitor projects and assist in resolving government-generated client challenges.
- Draft talking points, statements, and other written work product as needed.
- Research of proposed policies that may impact the business climate for Philadelphia.
- Preparing presentations and work material for the Business Development Unit.
- Represent the Department of Commerce at various trade shows, speaking engagements, special events and other marketing opportunities, as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Diplomacy and ability to facilitate problem resolution
- Microsoft Office and communication design proficiency
- Experienced in statistical and economic analysis
- 5+ years of experience in public sector economic development
- Bachelor’s degree from an Accredited College or University in Business, Finance, Urban Planning, Economics, Marketing or related filed.
- Graduate degree preferred
Please include cover letter, a writing sample and a resume with application. The closing date for submissions is May 5th, 2017.
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to pchr@ phila.gov. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx