- Wilmington, NC
Coastal Urge is a retailer that sells top-quality apparel and accessories to outfit the coastal, outdoor lifestyle. Four permanent locations merchandised with brands including Patagonia, The North Face, prAna, Mountain Hardware, Vineyard Vines, Southern Tide, Lilly Pulitzer, TOMS, L Space, Vitamin A and more serve customers in North and South Carolina. Mobile retail operations extend along the Eastern seaboard. At one location there is an extensive standup paddleboard and bicycle sales and rental operation. The founders started the company in 2008 to cater to like-minded individuals who enjoy spending their days outdoors and want to outfit their lifestyles with premium clothing and equipment.
The Buyer is responsible for assisting with purchasing for all retail doors at Coastal Urge. Purchasing of technical outdoor apparel to swimwear and hard goods is a major component of the job, with an ambition to be on top of the industries latest and greatest technology and fashion. This person will oversee stock balancing at all retail doors, constantly adjusting to increasing revenue. The position will also oversee and manage an Assistant to the Buyer. May serve as point person for certain Coastal Urge brands. Seek out and attend industry seminars and events to grow product and industry knowledge. This position is responsible for sales and markdowns, as well as inventory control across all storefronts, including working with the eCommerce storefront. The Buyer helps translate the Coastal Urge motto to “Outfit your lifestyle” into reality with thoughtful product selection to maximize revenue and maintain brand positioning.
- Inventory analysis and management.
- Maximizing GMROI
-Monitoring shipments and deliveries
-Working with the retail sales team be sure shipments are received and put out on sales
- Creating and tracking markdowns.
- Product selection and order writing.
- Ensure timely delivery of the merchandise through consistent communication and
follow-up with the distribution center.
- Create sales plans for OTB.
- Achieve sales, inventory, turn and gross margin plans monthly by providing support and
answering questions from sales staff.
- Provide monthly and weekly reports to senior management on performance.
- Analyze performance and make recommendations to maximize future performance.
- Daily brand maintenance.
- Stock balancing.
- Work with e-commerce division
- Merchandising all retail locations.
- Develop relationships with brand reps.
- Travel to retail stores and attend trade shows as needed.
-Travel to pop-up shops and help with setup and merchandising as needed.
-Wear many hats and be able to jump out on the retail floor and help customers when
- Other duties as required
-Proven experience and track record in purchasing for technical apparel, women's swimwear, and hardgoods.
-Must have hands on experience selling technical apparel and hardgoods
- Minimum 3 years of purchasing experience in outdoor industries.
- Team player.
- Availability to work weekends and holidays when needed.
- Experienced creating, managing, and implanting an OTB.
- Retail sales experience.
- Stock balancing experience.
- Must be able to multitask.
- Proficiency with digital inventory programs/ ability to learn.
-Travel to our mobile Boatiques to assist with merchandising and setup etc.
-Drive to utilize and research the latest technology to increase performance and revenue.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
-Drive company utility vehicles.
** Must have experience buying for a retail operation in the outdoor or similar industry to be considered for this role. Applications with exclusive buying for department stores, restaurant industry, hospitality, tourism, or other unrelated industries will not be considered. **
- Lift 50 lbs, and use equipment such as hammers, ladders, etc. Must not afraid to roll up sleeves.
- Owns reliable transportation.
Position requires 40-50+ hours per week, with weekend and holiday scheduling.
Great benefits including free equipment rentals, discounts on merchandise- all included with this position.
When applying, please specify your wage expectation and why we should consider you for the position.