Community Engagement Specialist
- Saint Paul, MN
Community Action Partnership of Ramsey & Washington Counties (Community Action) was established in 1964 as a program of the War on Poverty. Community Action Agencies became the service delivery arm of the Federal Office of Economic Opportunity. As the only continuously funded anti-poverty program in the country, our mission is to mobilize community resources to reduce poverty.
Under the direction of the Director of Planning & Community Engagement, this position is responsible for coordinating and implementing the assigned program by developing marketing materials, recruiting clients, assessing situations, developing and implementing a strategy to achieve their individual goals by counseling clients and coordinating and teaching related classes.
Essential Functions (Not All Inclusive)
- Assist participants with the development of a goal plan specific to the participant’s individual needs and resources.
- Provide financial, personal and vocational coaching for identified goals. Identify and assist with access to available resources for goal attainment.
- Provide and document advocacy activities on behalf of eligible participants/customers when funds are unavailable or inadequate to resolve crisis. Assist in achieving/sustaining self-sufficiency (e.g. vendor negotiation, referrals, one-on-one meetings, and follow up with other human service organizations).
- Maintain a quality customer service process for crisis intervention and educate participants/customers on payment plans, county assistance, and additional resources.
- Coordinate and facilitate financial education classes including preparing and updating curriculum materials.
- Provide monthly financial coaching on budgeting, credit repair, and debt and financial management as needed.
- Organize and maintain program files that will be compiled for accurate outcome goal reporting.
- Write reports that will accurately report program outcomes.
- Assist Supervisor with researching, developing, drafting and editing of communication materials.
- Establish and maintain collaboration with other Community Actions services, emergency services providers and community resources to better meet the needs of participant/customer base needs.
- Attend staff meetings, other meetings, workshops and program-specific training sessions when appropriate.
- Identify opportunities and provide work direction for volunteers to increase our capacity to meet goals.
- Bachelor's degree in a Human Services or related field with 3 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of financial planning, interviewing case management, and assessment skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, including collaborating with a team, working across program areas, disseminating information effectively and conflict resolution.
- Experience interacting with individuals from diverse ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Experience facilitating adult group learning required.
- Knowledge of credit reports, budgeting, and financial management preferred.
- Must have effective verbal and written communication skills. Public speaking skills preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of community resources preferred.
- Must be able to handle difficult customers and respond to their complaints or situations.
Community Engagement Specialist
Planning & Community Engagement
M-F, 36 hours/week
Job Posting Dates
Jan 30 - Feb 8, 2013
Community Action offers an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, life insurance, 403(b) retirement account, generous vacation/pto policy, and employee discount programs.