- Saint Paul, MN
Community Action Partnership of Ramsey & Washington Counties (Community Action) was established in 1964 as a program of the War on Poverty. Community Action Agencies became the service delivery arm of the Federal Office of Economic Opportunity. As the only continuously funded anti-poverty program in the country, our mission is to mobilize community resources to reduce poverty.
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Planning & Community Engagement, this position is responsible for integrating volunteerism into the agency as an organizational resource to support the mission and services of Community Action. This position is responsible for the infrastructure of the Volunteer Program including recruitment and selection of potential volunteers; training and orientation; matching of volunteers with opportunities throughout the organization, maintenance of volunteer files and tracking of volunteer activities and hours. This position serves as the point of contact for staff and volunteers and works collaboratively to create an atmosphere of collaboration to ensure a positive experience and desired outcomes.
Essential Functions (Not All Inclusive)
- Identify, evaluate and implement opportunities to improve and enhance volunteer services so that the needs of volunteers, staff and programs are met.
- Ensure system meets various reporting requirements and create reports to track agency usage of volunteers including statistical data for program evaluation.
- Maintain a system that permits the matching of volunteers and their skills and interests with opportunities as they arise.
- Develop, promote, and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the organization. Provide ongoing communication about volunteer initiatives and opportunities through emails, newsletters, social media, etc.
- Improve the visibility and sustainability of the volunteer program through marketing and community outreach.
- Coordinate the volunteer recruitment and selection activities of the agency.
- Maintain the Volunteer Program’s infrastructure by ensuring systems are in place to process and track volunteer applications, activities, hours, assignments, etc. and ensure appropriate background studies are completed.
- Create and implement a quality volunteer training program to ensure that volunteers are equipped to perform successfully for the agency.
- Develop recruitment initiatives to attract and solicit volunteers to ensure an adequate pool of volunteers is maintained.
- Participate in community events to promote volunteerism and establish and maintain partnerships with community organizations to recruit volunteers.
- Evaluate all aspects of volunteer programs to ensure effectiveness and recommend/implement changes as appropriate.
- Work with agency staff to develop performance expectations for volunteers and assist with their assessment. Provide guidance for performance improvement to ensure volunteer success.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or related degree and 3 years of related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the duties of the job.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel & Outlook) required.
- Must have an understanding of social networking tools.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills required. Public speaking skills preferred.
- Experience with relating to and communicating effectively with a variety of multi-ethnic and socio-economic groups and/or individuals preferred.
- The ability to work with desktop publishing software beneficial.
- Must be able to build relationships and work with community members.
- The ability to work independently and on a team is critical to this position.
- Must have the ability to relate professionally and positively and work cooperatively with other employees at all levels.
- Must possess valid driver’s license and daily reliable transportation.
M-F, 30 hours/week
Job Posting Dates
Feb 28 - Mar 12, 2014
Community Action offers an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, life insurance, 403(b) retirement account, generous vacation/pto policy, and employee discount programs.