Health, Safety & Environment Assistant
The global economy is missing out on a massive, untapped, high growth market opportunity. There are 750M middle and low-income African consumers who spend $680B per year. Formal retail and e-commerce cannot reach the vast majority of them but Copia's mobile commerce platform can.
The advent of mobile technologies is the game changer. Copia was built to bring regular Africans quality goods at low prices, regardless of their income level, access to technology or location. In this way, mobile commerce becomes Africa’s next big leapfrog solution.
Leveraging a network of digitally-enabled, locally based agents who operate as ordering and delivery points, Copia meets our consumers where they are – online or offline. Mobile money enables even the unbanked to transact. Our internally managed, tech-enabled logistics operation achieves best in class delivery costs despite poor road infrastructure and no addresses.
Copia transforms middle to low income Africans into empowered global consumers.
Working with Copia will give you an opportunity to:
- Have IMPACT by bringing accessibility to affordable goods and services to traditionally underserved customers and locations
- Quickly GROW your professional skillset by being part of a fast-paced, high growth and innovative organization.
- THRIVE in a fun and entrepreneurial culture that values input and action from all.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Health, Safety & Environment Coordinator you will ensure safe working practices with Copia Kenya’s areas of operations through liaising with Copia staff across all departments and external stakeholders involved in Copia Operations at the Fulfilment Center and Depots.
- To ensure employees have necessary information to enable them to deliver HSE compliance and implement appropriate mitigation and control measures within their areas of operations.
- To provide administrative support to the Health, Safety & environmental Coordinator in relevant HSE aspects)
- To identify and signal the EHS Coordinator where HSE support is required.
- To generate and share all HSE reports as required.
- Assist EH&S coordinator to conduct annual refresher training to all employees in health, safety, ergonomics, and other required aspects.
- Proactively identify opportunities for improvement in all areas of safety
- Facilitate EH&S coordinator to hold safety committee meetings on a quarterly basis.
- Regular walk throughs in the warehouse, production floor, yard and Office space to ensure that safety protocols are followed by employees.
- Develop a strong relationship with employees and facilitate employee-led behavior-based safety process in a team-based environment.
- Cross functional collaboration to ensure the workplace safety.
- Assist with employee incident investigation to uncover root cause and track completion of corrective actions.
- Support the development and delivery of Health, Safety & Environmental trainings.
- Engage external stakeholders on Job Safety analysis, Risk Assessments, and Safety audits as necessary.
Work Experience & Qualification
- Degree in Science, Engineering, Occupation Health & Safety, or related field
- At least Nebosh International General Certificate (IGC) or diploma.
- Able to work in fast paced environment with accuracy.
- At least 2 years of experience in a Logistics, FMCG or functional HSE role (preferred)
- Strong Communication, Interpersonal & Influencing Skills
- Fluency in written and oral English and Kiswahili
- Strong commitment to protecting and supporting people and the environment.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges
- Support the credibility of HSE function within the Site.
- Maintain an effective network of HSE contacts across Copia Operating sites.
- Support the local delivery of the site HSE Improvement Plan.
- May be required to travel occasionally to depots and field locations.
- Put the customer first in everything you do. You are obsessed with fostering a positive customer experience.
- Hit your targets. You do the things that add the most value, you do them well and do them on time
- Commit to making the workplace a great place to work.