Reporting the Director, HR, the Safety Officer will oversee the safety and environmental functions for two Long Island locations including Corporate office and Production facility (93,000 sq ft) and a Distribution Center (43,000 sq ft). This position is responsible for day to day administration and management of the company’s various environmental, health and safety programs to comply with OSHA, FDA, EPA, GMP and local, state, federal rules and regulations. This includes:
- conducting hazardous and safety inspections
- investigating workplace incidents/accidents and recommending changes/improvements
- developing and facilitating employee safety training
- drafting and distributing internal safety communications
- Develops and maintains a safe and environmentally conscious work culture throughout the organization.
- Manages company-wide safety, health and environmental standards systems and strategies.
- Prepares and maintains safety reports and statistical data; identifies issues and recommends corrective actions.
- Provides professional and expert safety, health and environmental support, service and counsel to all levels of the organization.
- Updates and develops programs and practices that promote health and safety awareness, competence and compliance.
- Creates and provides employee safety training and education as required.
- Oversees the safety committee meetings.
- Investigates all accidents and develops action plans to correct problems if detected. Partners with Human Resources on employee and contractor accidents for assessment as well as Worker’s Compensation and OSHA reporting.
- Develops a job hazard analysis process, ergonomics evaluation process and environmental risk analysis process. Prepares work safety standards and updates based on legal requirements.
- Keeps abreast of new updates and changes to the standards and regulations. Retrains staff as needed.
- Maintains all documentation to meet regulatory requirements.
- Collaborates with HR regarding employee education and training initiatives.
- Ensures emergency preparedness.
- Oversees and ensures compliance with GMP/NSF environmental requirements.
- Manages all aspects of company waste programs, reporting and training.
Experience and Skills:
- 3-5 years of experience working in a GMP regulated industry
- Experience working in an FDA regulated industry a plus
- Experience working with OSHA regulations and facilities maintenance
- Good communication skills; written and verbal
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to get along with a diverse population and strong inter-personal skills.
- Computer Skills: proficiency in MS Word and Excel
- Bilingual a plus
Education and Certifications:
- B.S. or equivalent in education and experience.
- American Red Cross CPR/First Aid certified a plus
- OSHA mandated 30 hr. training required
Only qualified candidates will be considered.
Include earnings expecations (salary + commission)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.