VP of Engineering
- Portland, OR
Founded in 2013 in Portland, Oregon, CrowdStreet is a software as a service company that is disrupting the commercial real estate industry by enabling innovative real estate operators and developers (AKA “sponsors”) to efficiently raise funds and manage investor relations online. Efficiencies achieved by using CrowdStreet’s platform allow real estate sponsors to post their offerings on the CrowdStreet Marketplace and gain instant access to a national audience of accredited investors. Enterprise-level sponsors use the same technology platform that powers the CrowdStreet Marketplace to present offerings to their own investors under their own brand by integrating CrowdStreet Sponsor Direct, our SaaS solution, with their existing website. Both solutions democratize access to commercial real estate investment opportunities by connecting accredited investors, family offices and institutions directly with real estate sponsors for fee-free co-investing and a modern digital portfolio management experience.
Since the launch of its initial product offering in early 2014, CrowdStreet has posted over $2 billion of total project value on the CrowdStreet Marketplace, raised over $50 million on behalf of real estate sponsors and has grown its team to 18 experienced professionals. After completing its A-Round of funding in early 2016 by raising over $3.5 million of venture capital, CrowdStreet is actively seeking to double the size of the team to support its rapid growth, expanding customer base and aggressive product roadmap.
CrowdStreet is looking for a top flight VP of Engineering to provide the technical vision for the company’s solutions, lead the engineering team and own everything technical for the company’s real estate marketplace and subscription software. The VP of Engineering will manage a highly proficient team of developers based in Portland, OR. The VP of Engineering will work closely with CrowdStreet’s CEO and VP of Product to prioritize the product roadmap, make technical decisions that optimize customer needs and achieve rapid growth objectives. The VP of Engineering will bring best practices in agile product development and programming practices to the team and implement automation, tools and processes that maximize developer productivity. CrowdStreet is looking for a VP of Engineering with experience building consumer marketplaces and/or SaaS applications that provide the highest level of robustness, performance, scalability, security and efficiency required to support a rapidly growing customer base. The VP of Engineering will report to Tore Steen, CEO, serve on the executive team, have frequent interactions with CrowdStreet’s board and be based in CrowdStreet’s Portland headquarters.
● Lead the engineering team, set work priorities relative to the product roadmap, mentor and train the team, manage daily tactical activities (stand ups, etc.), implement testing plans and oversee the deployment process.
● Set technical direction for the product (e.g. architecture decisions, code structure, frameworks, tech stack, quality, scalability, performance, security, etc.)
● Collaborate with the VP of Product to develop a viable product roadmap that achieves business objectives, delights customers and evolves the technical infrastructure.
● Establish processes and tools across the team to improve efficiency, speed and code quality.
● Work closely with the developers to discuss technical challenges, find creative solutions to thorny problems and establish high-quality code standards through regular code reviews.
● Recruit, interview and hire developers and engineers, establish recruiting processes and work with internal and external resources to drive successful recruiting results.
● Manage relationships with technical vendor and partners.
● 7+ years of experience leading engineering teams either as a VP/Director Engineering or Senior Engineering Manager responsible for building marketplaces, SaaS applications or complex software solutions.
● Experience leading teams, including setting work priorities, coaching and motivating, executing agile development practices, implementing tools, etc.
● Thorough knowledge of software development best practices including project planning, design sessions, documentation, source code control, peer code-reviews, scope management, unit testing, defect tracking, release management, TDD, BDD, agile methodologies etc.
● Prior experience making technical architecture decisions, providing technical input to the product roadmap, creating resource plans and working with product management to prioritize backlog items.
● Successful track record interviewing, hiring and recruiting strong developers; familiar with setting up and executing efficient and repeatable recruiting processes. Ability to recruit former colleagues a huge plus.
● Strong problem solving skills; ability to comprehend and communicate complex issues succinctly and clearly.
● Innate interpersonal skills; collaborative team-first focus, adaptable, comfortable with change.
● The ideal candidate will have experience building complex and secure multi-tenant web-based applications and experience with production level machine learning.
● Technical background, BS in Computer Science or Engineering important.
Reports to CEO
Competitive salary, full benefits and stock options.
Located in Portland, OR. (No relocation or remote employment)
CrowdStreet is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.